🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: "Please re-submit your VAT number"
Page options
livingston_de_en
Community Member

"Please re-submit your VAT number"

Hello,

Upwork is unable to verify the VAT number I submitted. This was to be my reply and question to Upwork (but apparently replies are not accepted):

As a resident of the Canary Islands, I submitted my NIE number, which is the tax number for foreigners here. The reason you will not be able to verify it is because, although the Canaries are part of Spain and the EU, they are "not part of Community territory for the purposes of VAT", which is explained here: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/other-taxes/turnover-taxes-canary-islands_en . That means I do not charge VAT for customers outside the Canary Islands. 

How will this be handled?

I doubt whether "the community" will be able to solve this issue but would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance,
RL

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Ronnie,

A member of the team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

~Nina

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Ronnie,

A member of the team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

~Nina

Thanks, Nina! 

I'm having the same problem. I tried adding my NIE as VAT number but rejected. Also from the Canary Islands.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eliseo,

One of our team members will reach out to you shortly and assist you further. Thank you for your patience!

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have the same problem and haven't been able to find a link or a solution towards this. Can someone help me? I'm also in the Canary Islands and it's impossible to verify this without your assistance.

Hi Andres,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you so much

Hi, I believe the Upwork team were able to suss this. Good luck!

vross2018design
Community Member

Hi!

I have the same problem. I am Autonomo on canary islands and I am free of IGIC (because it is my first year as an Autonomo). I have only NIE. Can someone from the community help me out?

Thank you

Hi Veronika,

I shared your problem with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I have the same problem. 

I've been autonomo in Spain for over a year and the VAT charge is still being deducted. Also, is there a way to add the NIE to the personal information displayed on the invoice? 

As well, is there a way to receive my invoices in Spanish as opposed to English?

Hi Zak,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
andreeacelmare
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue, I've been registered as Autónomo in the Canary Islands since 2021 and couldn't start working on Upwork for the same reason. My NIE is not recognized as the correct VAT number and we are VAT exempt in this community. Can an agent get in touch with me, please? I can send the necessary documentation. 

Hi Andreea,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for the issue you are experiencing. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
spud111
Community Member

Hello, I have the same issue here. As a resident of the Canary Islands I don't have a VAT number but a NIF, which I tried to submit but was refused. Can someone get in touch with me, please? 

Hi Valerio,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths