🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: report scam
Page options
mmmine
Community Member

report scam

Hello,

I am trying to report a scam and I'm not sure how? I had someone contanct me and asked me to be a "virtual art assistant". I accepted and paid $30 to Upwork when I did this. The client asked me to talk on google hangouts, which was strange but I went ahead and reached out. Later the client provided information giving me instructions (including telling me I would have to be okay with checks being sent to my address that I would hold until sending the money to them later). Anyways, after I googled all of this, I found the exact same scam on multiple websites. Is there anyway to get a refund of the money that was taken out of my account when I accepted this?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

No.

You can't get that money back.

If you want to continue using Upwork, you will need to learn what mistakes you made, so they you can avoid making those same mistakes again in the future.

And you will need to embrace this loss as a reminder. You can't really move forward if you still want that money back.

petra_r
Community Member

Maks M wrote:

I had someone contanct me and asked me to be a "virtual art assistant". I accepted and paid $30 to Upwork when I did this.

What do you mean, you paid $ 30 to Upwork? What for? It does not cost any money to accept an interview?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maks, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. I checked your account, and was unable to identify the client you are referring to as I can see that you are yet to communicate with any client. I can also see that you were only charged $1.50 for the Connects you purchased, so I'm not sure where you paid the $30. 

Since you are new, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

Maks already knows that he was scammed. That is why he labelled this thread "report scam."

He paid $30 to the scammer, not to Upwork.

mmmine
Community Member

Hi pals, 

This is embarassing but when I was going through my things I realized it happened on a different freelancing website, not Upwork. MY BAD. 

Thank you for all the help and suggestions though 🙂 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths