🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » self hiring concern
Page options
aliabbasdhudi
Community Member

self hiring concern

Hi, I want to know is that any policy violation? my friend's uncle is an industrial businessman. My friend recommends website development. And told him about me. 

I advised them to start work on Upwork on the hourly contract. Now he is agrees.

Is that any concern should I follow?

Is that included in self hiring?

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "self hiring concern"

Well... The first "concern" is that you SHOULD NEVER TALK about "self hiring" on Upwork.

Either you are using the wrong phrase or term. Or you are talking about something that is VERY FORBIDDEN.

re: "I want to know is that any policy violation?"

YES. "Self-hiring" is a HUGE policy violation. I can probably list about 100 policy violations off the top of my head. Self-hiring would be in the top-three most serious policy violations that I can think of.

re: "My friend's uncle is an industrial businessman. My friend recommends website development. And told him about me. I advised them to start work on Upwork on the hourly contract. Now he is agrees. Is that any concern should I follow? Is that included in self hiring?"

What you are describing...

I do NOT think that this is "self-hiring."

But don't do it.

You MIGHT be able to get away with doing this.

It MIGHT not cause any problems. But it also MIGHT lead to your account being suspended.

Upwork is not intended for people to use to hire their friends and family.

That is not "self-hiring." But Upwork might THINK that it is self-hiring. Or Upwork may simply NOT LIKE IT.

I have read too many stories in the Forum about people who were suspended after they were hired by friends or family. I have read stories where a large amount of money was earned and then the money was NEVER PAID to the freelancer. Upwork thought something was amiss and blocked the freelancer from withdrawing payment. Freelancers have been permanently banned from using Upwork.

So it's just not worth the risk, as far as I am concerned.

You are NOT required to use Upwork to work for this friend/family member.

If they want to hire you to work on their website, they can pay you directly. They do NOT NEED TO USE Upwork.

Does it mean that this is not a policy violation?

I can work with them

gaspardjack
Community Member

Why you want to pay extra fees for a client you already have?

good Question..

You also know that Upwork is the best place for freelancers. And once the credibility is built on this platform then we are our own boss to work with Busines plus or Enterprise Clients.

That's why

Muhammad Shoaib A wrote:

good Question..

You also know that Upwork is the best place for freelancers. And once the credibility is built on this platform then we are our own boss to work with Busines plus or Enterprise Clients.

That's why

So in other words, you're engaging in profile building and/or feedback manipulation. Yes, these are terms of service violations that could lead to your account being banned, especially since you've now admitted in the forum that these are your intentions.

I am sorry to say, mam. But you are getting me wrong. 

My only intention is to work with the client I was just needed help with policy not to break it. 

Muhammad Shoaib A wrote:

I am sorry to say, mam. But you are getting me wrong. 

My only intention is to work with the client I was just needed help with policy not to break it. 

In that case, the correct thing to do is to work with your client using a direct contract. The earnings won't count on your profile and the client can't leave feedback, but since you aren't interested in these things and just want to work with the client, then that won't be a problem, right?

Thank you, mam, for your suggestion I will follow this

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths