🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » should I continue this work? Help Me
Page options
mekailbd
Community Member

should I continue this work? Help Me

Hi Everyone. I am new here.

I just get a project. Client budget $500. In escrow deposit $5. I submit my milestone. And ask him to review the next milestone.  I work & submit for $50. He replied he will review it in 13-08-2020.  He tells me to keep going.  What to do now! Capture.JPG

Mekail R
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Don't play games with this!
Don't let the client play games.

The client funded $5 on escrow. That means you should do $5 worth of work and submit it.

Not $500.

Not $50.

Five dollars.

When the client says "keep going," that doesn't mean anything.

The client is going to pay you $5.

The client only wants you to do $5 worth of work.

At this point, if you did $50 worth of work, then you may tell the client:

"Yes, I will keep going. I have submitted $50 worth of work. You may now pay me $50, and then you may fund a new $50 milestone, and I will continue with the work."

That is all you say. This is not a discussion or debate. This is you providing  helpful information to the client about what he needs to do next.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

Don't play games with this!
Don't let the client play games.

The client funded $5 on escrow. That means you should do $5 worth of work and submit it.

Not $500.

Not $50.

Five dollars.

When the client says "keep going," that doesn't mean anything.

The client is going to pay you $5.

The client only wants you to do $5 worth of work.

At this point, if you did $50 worth of work, then you may tell the client:

"Yes, I will keep going. I have submitted $50 worth of work. You may now pay me $50, and then you may fund a new $50 milestone, and I will continue with the work."

That is all you say. This is not a discussion or debate. This is you providing  helpful information to the client about what he needs to do next.

I told him. So he wants to make me fool. He hires lots of freelancers. 

Mekail R

THANKS for your replay, I told him. His behave not so good also. I stop working. I think he will give me a poor review. What can I do now? 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Mekail R
robin_hyman
Community Member

This has happened to me before. However, I declined the invitation when I saw the client put 5% of the budget in escrow. He claimed he would pay me "later".  No money, no work. 

You are running a business, not a "do work now, pay later" organization. As Preston mentions, do $5 worth of work. If he wants you to continue, he has to put more in escrow. But YOU dictate how much. Don't let him rule you. 

Remember: the "budget" doesn't count. It does not matter if the budget says "$500" or "$1000" or "green eggs and ham."

The money "in escrow" is the thing that matters.

Thank You so much

Mekail R

Thanks for your reply. 
In this case, I stop working. I think he will give me a poor review. What can I do now? 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Mekail R
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Just wanted to wade in, in case what the previous posters said didn't enter lol.

You should stop work now until the client funds all outstanding and remaining milestones.

He should then proceed to release all oustanding ones before you continue work.

If you don't do this, Poor You! - you're asking to be burnt!

I have stopped working since yesterday.

Mekail R

Mekail, if he gives you a bad review, then you can refund the money and the review won't appear on your profile page.

If it was me, I would first give the client the opportunity to do the right thing. I would not assume that he will give me a bad review.

You already submitted for payment, right?

You already clicked the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button. That is good.

If the client does nothing, then you will get paid. After that, you can close the contract yourself. If the client does nothing, then you will have payment and no bad review. That is all good.

If the client manually releases payment and then funds a new milestone for your work, showing you respect, then that is good.

Before assuming the client is going to do something bad, it will not hurt to let him have the opportunity to (a) do nothing or (b) do the right thing.

Thanks a lot 

Mekail R
1192d5d5
Community Member

I have already finished my work, but I don't know how to submit the work

Please Help me!

Hi Shahnaj,

I just checked your account and I can see that you still haven't been hired on an official contract. To learn more about getting started on Upwork check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

re: "I have already finished my work, but I don't know how to submit the work"

Do NOT submit the work.

You have not been hired.

There is no way for you to get paid.

Keep the work for yourself. You may put the work that you did - and which no client paid for - in your portfolio.

Do NOT send any messages to the client.

This is over.

BUT: If the client contacts you and asks for the work, then you may tell them ONE SENTENCE:

"Yes, the work is done and I will send you the files after you click on the Hire button to create an official Upwork contract."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths