🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: the client is not hiring me following the...
Page options
borghini
Community Member

the client is not hiring me following the Upwork standard

Hello, I am a freelancer and I am working via Upwork for the first time. A client contacted me after I sent a proposal and she said I am hired. However , after I started the task , I noticed that my 'work diary' page doesn't show any contract in action. I told the client she must follow the Upwork standard process and she said she is new to the system. I sent her a link to a video explaining how to 'hire' someone on upwork officially but I see no changes yet. I have sent another message to her explaining why it is so important to get the contract and I am waiting for the response. I hope she will manage to do it but I wonder if is there anything Upwork can do to help me with that. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
wlyonsatl
Community Member

It really isn't that complicated for her to accept your proposal, so don't even begin working until Upwork notifies you she has accepted it.

No contract = no pay.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I wonder if is there anything Upwork can do to help me with that."

No, not really.

As a freelancer, you will need to be able to deal with clients on your own.

Think of it like a worker in a MacDonald's. A person comes to the counter and orders a Big Mac. When you tell her that will cost $2.15, she says she isn't going to pay. You don't actually need to call corporate headquarters to know what to do. You know how things work, and you know that you can't hand her a Big Mac if she doesn't pay.

As an Upwork freelancer, you know how things work, and you know you don't work without a contract.

kat303
Community Member

I hope she will manage to do it but I wonder if is there anything Upwork can do to help me with that. Thanks!

No, Upwork can't force a client to hire you or pay you. At this point Stop working, and do not send this client any work that you've already done no matter what she tells you unless she offers you a contract (which you can accept or decline) and FULLY funds escrow/milestones as they come up.

ONLY AFTER you've presented with a contract, the clients account is verified and escrow is FULLY funded for each milestone as they come up, Then you can start working. 

Since she's not replying (and she's not replying because you're new and you didn't fall for her scam) don't dwell or wait for any communication. Move on. She's probably looking for other newbies to pull this scam on. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths