🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » this is horrendous
Page options
lucrecia007
Community Member

this is horrendous

I have wasted so much precious time trying to find customer support and the instructions they give on clicking on "get help" are no help at all, it just keeps taking you in a loophole to no end.. i'm new to upwork and I think I'll just delete my account. I need to change my location and is not allowing me, and of course it tells me to update my VAT before I can change my location. I entered my VAT and i got an email saying it was wrong, and I'll be charged if I resubmit. Of course it's wrong based on the current location I have it is... I need to update my location, but there is NO way to talk to someone. I clicked on a link to open a ticket, and of course it again trows me into a loophole ...  How do you get support here???  based on the threads it seems its very hard to get any and this may be an indicator of what to expect unfortunately. appreciate feedback and see if I still give this platform a chance. Thank you. 

10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ana,

 

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. Could you please confirm your current location/country so that our team can update it? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, thank you kindly for the response. My location is in Tampa, FL United States. Thank you


Ana N wrote:

Hi Goran, thank you kindly for the response. My location is in Tampa, FL United States. Thank you


But your profile says you are living in Paris? 

I'm in France at the moment and I intend to do only remote work with the U.S. but I'm an American and FL resident and I need to pay taxes in the U.S. when I work as a freelancer, hence that is why i made the mistake when creating my account. 


Ana N wrote:

I'm in France at the moment and I intend to do only remote work with the U.S. but I'm an American and FL resident and I need to pay taxes in the U.S. when I work as a freelancer, hence that is why i made the mistake when creating my account. 


Your location needs to reflect your current country of residence. Many freelancers made that mistake because they were hoping for US only jobs. Their profiles went poof faster than you can say - well, about anything. 

(Upwork knows where you really are, and they are not giving you any warnings if they find inconsistencies. If you are a resident of France, they want your tax money too.) 

Thanks for the information, I'm in the process of changing my status in France, but it is in progress and has not been approved yet. So when they approve it and that changes then i'll have to swtich and pay taxes in France. I do have the right to work as an American freelancer remotely from anywhere in the world, like many people I know do.  And I just want to make sure I'm paying taxes in the right country where I'm legally able to work as a freelancer now.  


Ana N wrote:

Thanks for the information, I'm in the process of changing my status in France, but it is in progress and has not been approved yet. So when they approve it and that changes then i'll have to swtich and pay taxes in France. I do have the right to work as an American freelancer remotely from anywhere in the world, like many people I know do.  And I just want to make sure I'm paying taxes in the right country where I'm legally able to work as a freelancer now.  


Your ability to work depends on the laws of your country of residence. If I were to travel to the US, for example, I know that I'm not allowed to work there, remote or not, because I would have a tourist visa. If I did and they found me out, they would deport me and ban me from reentering the US for a number of years, depending on the gravity, I assume. 

Not all countries are that strict, but you are well advised to consult the proper authorities. All countries require their residents to pay income tax and other relevant taxes, no matter their country of birth or citizenship. If you travel and work in different countries, double taxation treaties will apply. I know that the US will always tax your world-wide income, no matter where it is earned, if it exceeds a certain threshold. 

yes, I'm well verse in all of this given I'm constantly traveling and moving, and i have a great accountant in the U.S. and a great immigration attorney specializing in American and French labor law advising me in France, precisely to make sure i do everything within my legal rights. so thanks again and have a great day. 

Hi Ana,

 

Your country is now updated, feel free to update the rest of your address as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you so much Goran! I updated my address to my FL US Address but is still shows "rue lecluse" from the address in France and I'm not able to update it or remove it. Would you please kindly remove "rue lecluse" ? thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths