🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » travel
Page options
jose_flores915
Community Member

travel

I am a U.S citizen can I work from anywhere in the world? Im planning on traveling and would like to make some money while I do so.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am a U.S citizen can I work from anywhere in the world? Im planning on traveling and would like to make some money while I do so."

Yes.

As long as you comply with the laws and regulations of the places you travel to, Upwork places no restrictions on a freelancer's ability to work while travelling.

In some countries you'll need to apply for a freelancer visa, and it's not always easy to be approved for this; you would need to research the requirements for each individual country. And regardless of whether you're working or not, there will always be restrictions on the length of time that you're allowed to stay in a particular country (usually 3-6 months, but if you get a customs official who's having a bad day, they might only give you one month). Being a U.S. citizen doesn't entitle you to any special privileges.

Also keep in mind that you can only work in places that have fast and reliable Internet access, so it's worth researching this before you get on a plane. (Even individual areas within a certain country might have problems, even though the rest of the country doesn't - I've learned this the hard way!)

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jose F wrote:

I am a U.S citizen can I work from anywhere in the world? Im planning on traveling and would like to make some money while I do so.

Keep in mind that many countries allow working in their country only when you are the holder of a valid working visa, and depending on the lenght of stay, you might be required to pay income tax in the respective country as well as your home country. To avoid double taxation, many countries have mutual double taxation treaties to deal with these matters. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths