🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » typing job and data entry legit or scam?
Page options
manlapat_rosendo
Community Member

typing job and data entry legit or scam?

Hello to Everyone, just wanna ask. why all the typing job and data entry jobs that i applied for need a registration fee? Is this legit or a scam that people do? I'm from the phillipines and recently un-employed. So I look here in upwork to find some work from home.

9 REPLIES 9
0ea796be
Community Member

It sounds like the "client" probably sent you a link to move off Upwork. That's a violation of the TOS. You have to keep all communication on Upwork until you have a contract in place. Also, legitimate clients never ask for money. You can protect yourself from these scams by staying on the platform. 

You're absolutely right, but these jobs often get 50+ proposals in the first place.  So many are falling for these "job postings".  If UW prevented the scammer from replying to a freelancer with external URLs within the reply, it would take away the incentive for the scammer to post the job in the first place.  I'm new here, replied to a couple (because...I didn't know the subtle-to-new-people signs of a scam post).  I got two replies from two jobs postings containing t.me (Telegram) links.  That could have been prevented in the first place.  If a scammer tried to send a freelancer such a link, the scammer is suspended/banned automatically, the jobs posting removed automatically, and 50+ proposals re-credited with their connects automatically.  Jobs postings from people who've never paid out any money should be under WAY more scrutiny.  Instead, it's a free-for-all firehose of scams.

Thank you for your response as it answers a question I had about a Telegram link in a message I received.  As it was my first bid I am disappointed it turns out to be a scam.  You are correct that connects should be credited back when these scams get through.

Connects ARE refunded when a job is taken down as a scam, but it might take a day or two.

Thank you for the reply. Yes the potential clients was sending me links of there telegram and continue the conversation their. Thankfully I asked here first.

A big thanks for answering. Thank God I asked here 1st. before continuing the conversation with the "client" or hoping to be a client.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Don't do data entry, most jobs are scams. 

5bfc8476
Community Member

Scam most of them.

e15f6105
Community Member

sir hlp mi

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths