🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: unfair customer feedback
Page options
sergeyugv
Community Member

unfair customer feedback

Good day to the best Upwork supports :).

I had one problem (Contract ID **Edited for Community Guidelines**)

The client asked 4 times to add new functions or change the principle of work existing without increasing the payment of a fixed price. I agreed with this three times to successfully complete the contract. Because of this, the execution time stretched for 1 month for more than 2 months. On the 4th request to do something that was not stipulated by the contract - I refused and made it clear that we can perform this ONLY as a new task by the next stage.

Due to the fact that I refused to perform additional tasks from **Edited for Community Guidelines**, which were not provided for by the contract, She was not satisfied and gave me 1 point in feedback.

She doesn’t have experience at all on upvork and doesn’t know many rules, and believes that if she created a contract, then by default the freelancer should fulfill all her wishes, which she will inform later, 1-2 months after agreeing of the contract.

I completed the task (the part that was described in the contract) and proved it to the customer. Therefore, I believe that her score of 1 point is not based on facts, but on the fact that she could not further manipulate me and forcing to perform her next tasks for free.

How can I protest or delete this review? As you can see, the rest of my customers estimate my work at 4-5, pay money and do not open any disputes, unlike **Edited for Community Guidelines**because, I repeat, she thinks that she can dictate conditions alone and add new tasks without changing the fixed project cost. Not only I will suffer from this, but the following freelancers who will cooperate with her.

What can I do in this situation? How can I remove / improve / hide this rating, which is illegitimate?

Regards, Serhii.

6 REPLIES 6
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Serhil,

This is one of the greatest weaknesses of the Job Success Score system. And there is no indication it will be changed by Upwork in the foreseeable future.

If this client continues to show a pattern of consistently negative feedback for the freelancers she works with, there is a possibility Upwork will not take into account her feedback when calculating the JSS of freelancers. We don't know how many feedbacks a client has to leave before their feedback is judged by Upwork as being consistently negative, nor do we know whether a client whose feedback is eventually omitted from JSS calculations will then have their feedback removed from all freelancers' JSS calculations who have ever worked with that client.

Thank you, Will.
Can I write a comment about her feedback on my page so that it can be seen below?
I have seen this option in other freelancer profiles , but I can not find how I can do this?

Serhii R wrote:

Thank you, Will.
Can I write a comment about her feedback on my page so that it can be seen below?
I have seen this option in other freelancer profiles , but I can not find how I can do this?

You might rethink that idea. Responding to a client's feedback (assuming that you would be either defensive or aggressive) does more harm than good on your profile because it makes you appear petty. We've all felt treated unfairly at some point, starting to argue with your  client in your feedback section is not the right way to go about it. 

I just want to write in front of her review, what I think (that she wrote 1 point because I didn’t agree do additional work for free that wasn’t agreed) so that my potential clients could see the real reason for this review. Thanks for the advice to calm down ...

Upwork takes the biggest commission among all platforms for freelancers, plus paid connections have been introduced. And this is all so that when a freelancer gets a bad review, based not on the quality of his work, but on an attempt to blackmail by the customer, the freelancer would not even be able to indicate the real reason for this feedback in the profile ?.

Will you answer my previous question, or not?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

"Can I write a comment about her feedback on my page so that it can be seen below? (screen in attach)
I have seen this option in other freelancer profiles , but I can not find how I can do this?"

Hi Serhii,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your client.

Just to confirm, you can respond on your client feedback, to learn more about this check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Serhil,

Leaving negative feedback on a client's unjustifiably negative feedback is tricky. You don't want to draw permanent attention to it, or appear to be difficult to work with or too negative or too defensive either. If you want to leave feedback on feedback, keep it short, keep it accurate, don't be aggressive, stick to the facts.

And then move on. Freelancing remotely can be frustrating; that is never going to change.

This won't help you much at this point, but I think this sort of thing is best avoided by being very precise in setting up each new project. Detail exactly what you understand you need to do to meet the client's expectations and what you understand will not need to be done. Some clients just don't understand their own projects and then make unreasonable assumptions to keep their cost down, others plan to get the freelancer to do as much work as possible once the contract is in place.

You can't always know what type of client you are dealing with until the project is underway.

Good luck.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths