🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » **
Page options
bernardinem
Community Member

October 29, 2020 I received a confirmation about my application as Personal Assistant. Company name **Edited for Community Guidelines** will call and update me about interview and the job. The interview was done through SMS. The same day I received Employment Agreement and Employee Sheet. It asked for all personal information: name address brithdate routing number bank account bank name and signature. 

October 30, 2020 I did due diligence and called the website number to verify and confirm the person. I received an email saying that it is a scam and theyve been receiving calls and emails from people who was hired through UPWORK. I checked my UPWORK account and **Edited for Community Guidelines** deleted job posts and messages we exchanged. I messaged **Edited for Community Guidelines** and he mentioned that their company website has been hacked and that he will call me back. But he never did. 

Please take note of what happened to me here. Is there any way to other way to validate people who joins here and make sure they have reliable information because we input all our personal data here thinking that they are also upfront. 

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi Bernardine,

I'm sorry to hear you encountered this kind of activity in the marketplace. We take great measures to keep our global marketplace safe, and we’re committed to doing our best to prevent or address suspicious activity. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to report it.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Bernardine M wrote:

October 29, 2020 I received a confirmation about my application as Personal Assistant. Company name **Edited for Community Guidelines** will call and update me about interview and the job. The interview was done through SMS. The same day I received Employment Agreement and Employee Sheet. It asked for all personal information: name address brithdate routing number bank account bank name and signature. 

October 30, 2020 I did due diligence and called the website number to verify and confirm the person. I received an email saying that it is a scam and theyve been receiving calls and emails from people who was hired through UPWORK. I checked my UPWORK account and **Edited for Community Guidelines** deleted job posts and messages we exchanged. I messaged **Edited for Community Guidelines** and he mentioned that their company website has been hacked and that he will call me back. But he never did. 

Please take note of what happened to me here. Is there any way to other way to validate people who joins here and make sure they have reliable information because we input all our personal data here thinking that they are also upfront. 

If you had read the terms of service, or even better, adhered to them, that would not have happened to you. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths