🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: unverified payment method/contract
Page options
raintag
Community Member

unverified payment method/contract

Hi all!  I am new to Upwork and have submitted a few proposals.  Yesterday I received a message for an interview via Google and completed the interview/testing process required.  Additionally, I have received emails detailing the job description and am email stating I have been hired.  Details also included the electronic items needed (scanner/printers, etc) that would be shipped to me (guessing they will ask for my address soon too).    

Being new to this process I have concerns as no job/contract has come through via Upwork and I also noticed their payment method is unverified.  I would not like to begin work until these things happen-right?  He mentioned the company name at the end of the interview and via Google, it is a large corporation called *** Edited for Community Guidelines ***.  

If I do nothing until I receive a contract via Upwork, can they give me an unwanted review?  Do clients/freelancers meet via Upwork and work outside of the contract reim provided by Upwork.  Again, I am unfamiliar with the process.  

Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you again

Linsey

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rverang
Community Member

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

It is the fake check scam, old as the hills.

If you have given them your address and bank info, expect your identity to be stolen.

There is no job, and no "equiptment" - they just want you to pay in a fake check into your account and then send them real money before you lose the money and likely your bank account.

One of the oldest, dumbest scams on the net.

No, they can not give you a review if you were not hired.

rverang
Community Member

You might want to read this => IS THIS A SCAM?? GOOGLE HANGOUT INTERVIEWs

and this => Beware of Google Hangout Scams

raintag
Community Member

Thank you.  I thought it was a scam but was not sure how to review worked. 

cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Linsey,

Can you please send me a PM regarding your client's details so I can take a look at your situation and report it to our team? Thank you.

Untitled
raintag
Community Member

The name was **Edited for Community Guidelines** At the very end, after I kept pushing for the company, I was given the name **Edited for Community Guidelines** .  I contacted them and they confirmed they do not post on Upwork.

jcullinan
Community Member

I'm sorry this happened to you, Linsey. This scam is, unfortunately, common, but now you know what to look for.

This is also a good link for learning how to vet job posts:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Basic rules of thumb:

• Don't do any kind of "test" work, samples, exams, etc., without a contract in place. Some clients are looking to scam for free work, and others are looking to appear legitimate before sending you a forged check.
  • Interviews should be brief, and take place either in the message center, or via a short phone call or Skype. Google Hangouts is a red flag no matter what.
  • Don't give any additional personal information beyond what is on your profile.
  • You're a freelancer, not an employee. Any client talking about required equipment, software, etc., is either a scammer or is looking for an employee. You're responsible for your own tools.
  • When you're just starting out, take everything with a mountain of salt. You'll soon figure out how to identify the good clients and how to weed out the scammers.
  • Report scammers mercilessly, even if you just suspect them and can't prove it. That's what the flagging system is for, and if enough reports come in on the same post, it will be removed.

Jess, Thank you for the info!  

mohitmic26
Community Member

If I do nothing until I receive a contract via Upwork, can they give me an unwanted review? 

Comment:- Never

Do clients/freelancers meet via Upwork and work outside of the contract reim provided by Upwork. 

comment:- NO this is not possible 

mohit kumar
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths