🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: upwork T&C
Page options
12a0bbd5
Community Member

upwork T&C

Hi, I have a question regarding upwork's T&C and I can't get through to a real perons (all roads lead to either robots or here..) Please advise.

BTW - my question to that person would be:

I'd like to know if upwork's T&C allows me to create a post for a coding contest. As it's not a job per se, so I'm not sure if it's permitted. Saying that, at the end of the day, I'm looking for freelancers and will pay for their time, so it seems to be okay in my mind. 

The contest announcment can be found **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Amit:

Upwork TOS explicitly prohibits clients from posting jobs for "contests" in which freelancers are not paid, and only one winner is paid.

But you CAN post a job in which every freelancer is actually paid for their work, paid for their time. Even if that job involves hiring dozens or hundreds of people, that is fine.

If you do not actually end up "using" all (or any) of the work that is submitted, that is fine.

If you select the best entry from among the work you receive, and send some sort of bonus payment through Upwork to the "winner," that is fine.

Or if you simply use the submissions as a way to choose freelancers to hire for further work, that is fine.

Such a thing IS considered a job, even if you don't think of it as a traditional job.

As a matter of fact, you have the option to conduct what amounts to a competition to find freelancers EVEN IF YOU DO NOT identify it as such.

You could explicitly identify it as such, or not. For some purposes, a client might even get better results simply by posting a simple short job and evaluating the results and picking the best freelancers based on the submissions. That is allowable as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Amit L wrote:

I'd like to know if upwork's T&C allows me to create a post for a coding contest. As it's not a job per se, so I'm not sure if it's permitted. Saying that, at the end of the day, I'm looking for freelancers and will pay for their time, so it seems to be okay in my mind. 

That contest specifies that you have to create the entry, not pay someone else to in your name you paying someone else to take part in your name would violate the other site's terms, it is forbidden here as well. Upwork's terms do not allow jobs that would violate another's terms.

creator.jpg

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

12a0bbd5
Community Member

Looks like you didn't understand me.

I'm the orgnizer of the competition, and I want to inform potential contestants about it. I'm not asking anyone to list an entry with my name.... not my style...

The question to upwork, if I --THE CONTEST ORGNIZER-- can post to upwork members.

Amit:

Upwork TOS explicitly prohibits clients from posting jobs for "contests" in which freelancers are not paid, and only one winner is paid.

But you CAN post a job in which every freelancer is actually paid for their work, paid for their time. Even if that job involves hiring dozens or hundreds of people, that is fine.

If you do not actually end up "using" all (or any) of the work that is submitted, that is fine.

If you select the best entry from among the work you receive, and send some sort of bonus payment through Upwork to the "winner," that is fine.

Or if you simply use the submissions as a way to choose freelancers to hire for further work, that is fine.

Such a thing IS considered a job, even if you don't think of it as a traditional job.

As a matter of fact, you have the option to conduct what amounts to a competition to find freelancers EVEN IF YOU DO NOT identify it as such.

You could explicitly identify it as such, or not. For some purposes, a client might even get better results simply by posting a simple short job and evaluating the results and picking the best freelancers based on the submissions. That is allowable as well.

petra_r
Community Member

Amit L wrote:

I'm the orgnizer of the competition, and I want to inform potential contestants about it.

So you are using this forum to advertise your contest, and actually have no intention of hiring anyone.

No, that isn't allowed.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths