Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

violation

Highlighted
Md. Abu Sayed R Member Since: Dec 2, 2016
1 of 5

Hello!!
I am a new freelancer. I am on interviewing with 03 clients. Out of that 02 client is asking or offering me different proposal which is not mentioned before.  I want to know that:

1.  After submit a proposal client asking different work during interview.What to do.
2.  Payment method offering Like PayPal and others without  mentioned Upwork.

Is it violation or not??? Could I work with those client and accept their offer.

Note: Both client Payment unverified.

If anybody clear me on this issue and help me out I'll be great full to him.

Thanks,

Rana

Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Working outside of or accepting payment off op Upwork is a violation. You should report these clients right away. Often times, they are scammers. But even if not, this is still against the rules. 

I would suggest that you read the Terms of Service and the Upwork blog, just so that you can understand how Upwork works, what the rules are and what to avoid. 

As for clients asking for different work, my advice would be not to work for them unless they can explain why their needs have changed completely. Who knows what else they will change if you accept the job? If they are unsure about their wants/needs, it could end up being a headache for you in the long run. 

Also, never start working if a client's payment method is unverified. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

Rana:

Here are some facts that are almost always true in cases like this:

The two clients who asked if they can pay you via PayPal are scammers.

They are aware of Upwork's policies and they have no interest in working properly within Upwork's guidelines.

They are trying to trick you into providing free work for them, or they plan to trick you so that you send money to them.

There is no way for you to actually earn any money working for these scammer clients.

BUT:

Don't be rude to them.

Just in case they are are very new clients and are simply unaware of Upwork's policies, if you know enough about the job that you know you would like to do it, and if you think they may be legitimate, you could send a SINGLE message to them:

"I'm glad that you are interested in working with me. If you use the green "Hire" button in the client-side interface to send me an official Upwork contract offer, then I will accept and get started working for you on this project."

If they actually hire you through Upwork, that's great.

Otherwise, you know they're scammers and you can flag the job and/or report it to Customer Service.

Md. Abu Sayed R Member Since: Dec 2, 2016
4 of 5

Thanks a lot for great feedback.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 5

Hi Rana,

I checked and it looks like actions have already been taken against client accounts you are referring to. Please, stop communicating with them if the interview was moved outside of Upwork.

To stay safe on Upwork, please read this post with useful tips and best practices.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS