🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » w-9 tax form
Page options
suraj12291
Community Member

w-9 tax form

Hello,

Well I just joined the upwork as a Freelancer. While filling the application form I was asked to send 
w-9 form as I am a US person inorder to withdraw the earned money. I dont understand how to process the w-9 form since I dont have a buisiness name or llc but I do have SSN.

I would be greatful to you if you can please guide me through the tax information and let me understand the steps to follow for withdrawing the earned amount in future.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Suraj Gaiwkad

5 REPLIES 5
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Suraj,

You can enter your own name on the W-9 form. Please take a look at this article for more information on completing the form, but feel free to follow up here with any other questions.

~Nina

I am new to UpWork as well.  I have placed several proposals and finally got one accepted.  The individual that is wanting me to work with them is requesting I send them the W9 as well photos of my state issued ID and a photo of myself with my ID.  They are wanting to communicate via personal email.  I was not sure about this and didn't feel right about it.  Is this a common practice? Any insight is appreciated. 

Hi Kendra,

Thanks for reaching out. Freelancers should refrain from giving away personal information to clients, as all pertinent information needed to complete a hire is in a user's profile page, and can also be discussed during the interview. You complete your W-9 form on Upwork site and shouldn't share any personal and SSN with clients. You can share this article with the client. Please review these safety tips which will help you avoid questionable jobs.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

Hi Jo-An, I was reading some posts and found this. I have a query regarding this , hope you can help me. Please clarify this for me For us person, Is w-9 certificate must to withdraw funds to paypal account? And Do all freelancer have to use upwork escrow service OR if I choose I can have my earning directly into paypal account? There are so many articles but it gets confusing. I would appreciate your help.

Hi Kiana,

Thanks for reaching out to us. You'll need to complete your W-9 form in order to withdraw your earnings from Upwork and you may want to do it sooner rather than later as Upwork isn't able to keep money indefinitely. Please, fill the form under your Settings > Tax Information on Upwork. You'll need to enter your name, address, SSN and other information. As for your second question, please note that is a violation of Upwork's ToS to receive or request payments outside of Upwork. Please follow up on this Help Article to learn more about Upwork's Escrow and Payment protection it provides.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths