🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » what is average number of proposals after whi...
Page options
adnanaslam60
Community Member

what is average number of proposals after which a freelancer must be hired to avoid account blocking

Hi,

I am new to upwork. I have submitted about 46 proposals and got only two tiny projects (1 fixed price + 1 hourly). total hours worked are 20. I alwyas write propsal according to client's project (no copy paste), but my ratio being hired is very low. I am not submitting more proposals to avoid suspension. No sign of Rising Talent Either 😄 i have read all the instrustions and implemented them to make my profile a good one. I also try to follow best practises when writing proposals, but still no sign of success. can you guys please guide me that what is average number of proposals after which a freelancer must be hired to avoid account blocking ? any guidence and tips are welcome.

3 REPLIES 3
gaspardjack
Community Member

Hi Adnan,

Upwork is no longer suspending accounts for sending too many unsuccessful proposals:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Account-Suspended-Too-many-bids-without-any-earnings/td-...

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Hello,

You have a typo in this line of your profile

"If you got a project to do, let's start it out and get things done. I am sure you will love the results."

What's the good news?  Your skill set is among the most in high demand in the world.  What's the other news?  You compete against 100s, perhaps more, resources with relatively measures of skill in this discipline.

Your profile is excellent.  In sales theory, you live in what is called commodity services, LoLN marketing.  Meaning, your skills are considered a commodity service by virtue of how many offer them.  Obviously there are distinguishing factors in quality, that is hard to prove on paper, your profile is as strong as need be to do so.

Steel yourself.  You get the special path of patience and law of large numbers.   As Upwork has removed the limit for unsuccessful proposals -- that means one thing.  You get the special path of grinding it out with proposal volume.

WIthout commentary on how to do this: it is vital to make sure your proposals are bullet-proof.  I recommend pre-writing paragraphs of common components of a proposals.
Who
What
When
Where
Why
How.

Who are you.  What do you offer (specific to the client's needs).  How do you deliver your services (by benefit of business advantage).  And Why pick you (attached to business benefit, communications capability, specialized skills, past successes, more than just "I am better at what I do than them".

There is an industry in the U.S. called Managed IT service provisioning. MSP.  They are commodity-based services.  Companies compete for $30k a year support projects, basically all doing the same thing in the same way.  There are not a lot of different ways to deliver help desks, remote management and monitoring, public, private cloud, disaster recovery.  The live in the Commodity services, LoLN world.

How do the top firms achieve top of mark?  They compete with a patience and perservance that is mind bending.  Then, eventually, they build momentum, i.e. customer list and they crush their competitors at will by virtue of such.

Steel yourself.  You are in commodity-class servivce (by sheer volume of service provider and perceptions) and have LoLN as your sword and shield.  Later, it will be different.  For now, your competitive advantage is to outwork them in sales effort.

You can do this.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Adnan A wrote:

Hi,

I am new to upwork. I have submitted about 46 proposals and got only two tiny projects (1 fixed price + 1 hourly). total hours worked are 20. I alwyas write propsal according to client's project (no copy paste), but my ratio being hired is very low. I am not submitting more proposals to avoid suspension. No sign of Rising Talent Either 😄 i have read all the instrustions and implemented them to make my profile a good one. I also try to follow best practises when writing proposals, but still no sign of success. can you guys please guide me that what is average number of proposals after which a freelancer must be hired to avoid account blocking ? any guidence and tips are welcome.

Your profile and your post here have multiple grammatical and spelling errors. Your "Fluent" level of English should inform you which letters to capitalize and which to make lower case. If your proposals/cover letters are written like the above, then you need to use whatever skill you used to get that verified English Fluent check on your profile to proofread and edit your proposals better. While English fluency is not required for your work, creating proposals that are comprehensible in English is required for all of us. Go back and look at your profile and scrutinize words that are capitalized in the middle of a sentence. Look at your proposals, and, at the very least, use a spell checker. 

You don't have to have perfect grammar and spelling skills, but you need to be able to know how to get your proposals to be error-free. I think some attention to this area might help you land more jobs. 

Best of luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths