🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » what is my rights ? Client Ask for infinite E...
Page options
mostafa-yahia
Community Member

what is my rights ? Client Ask for infinite Editing on the project ! ?

Hello 

i am new here but i am experience in my category as game developer 

what is my rights as a freelancer 

is client has the rights to make me Edit the project infinite times 

i always do the Editing and send it on the message chat 

is it a good way or there is another place than inbox ! 

sometimes he asks for extra work than job posted and he will not pay till i finish it 

is it ok 

or how to save my rights ? 

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mostafa:

Upwork does not "defend your rights" against scope creep.

It is your responsibility to do that.

As a freelancer, you need to make sure that you specify the scope of the work that will be cone as part of a fixed-price contract. Then you must politely but firmly let clients know that you can not do work outside of the scope that was defined.

It requires wisdom and experience to do this effectively. Don't wait for Upwork to do this for you. They will not.

so How Upwork protect me ! ? means what Upwork is doing Exactly ! ? 

You don't submit your work through the messages.

Go to the my jobs tab, go to the contract, hit "submit work" and then wait. The client has two weeks to review your work.

Make sure the milestones are funded first.

Tell the client you can do extra work if they set up a new, funded milestone.

It's not Upwork's responsibility. It's yours. Read about how to properly manage contracts and clients.

re: "so How Upwork protect me ! ? means what Upwork is doing Exactly ! ?"

Great question.

There are MANY ways that upwork protects me, as a freelancer.

The MAIN way, though, is by ensuring that I get paid.

Upwork has Payment Protection procedures in place for both hourly contracts and fixed-price contracts.

I know how how to use Upwork properly, so it is almost impossible for there to be situations in which I don't get paid for my work. In fact, there have been times when I did hourly work on a contract, and there was a problem with a client's credit card. And Upwork paid me out of their own pocket.

Upwork couldn't collect money from the client. So Upwork paid me.

That's some pretty good protection. (Try doing that on a social media website or a generic bulletin board site!)

There are other ways Upwork protects you, such as protecting your privacy. I do nearly all my jobs without ever providing any contact information to clients. You don't have to provide clients a phone number, email address, home address, social security number, drivers license, etc. And you can still work and get paid.

thank you so much 
but i have a problem with a client 
he asked me for a job for 50 $ 
20 $ is calling escrow 
i don't know what it is meaning 
then i submit a new milestone to get paid for other 30 $ 
client didn't submit and asked me for alot of editing 
till he Cancel the job now 
and i did a lot of editing and work for free so ! 
what can i do now ! ? 

re: "what can i do now !"

Read extensively in the Community Forum about fixed-price contracts.

Learn how to do better next time. Learn how to avoid these mistakes.

You made mistakes because you did not understand fixed-contracts fully. The more you learn, the less likely you will be to make the same mistakes.

But if you have already received what was funded from the last fixed-price contract, then it is over. If the client does not want to send you more money, she does not have to.

@Mostafa Y wrote:

thank you so much 
but i have a problem with a client 
he asked me for a job for 50 $ 
20 $ is calling escrow 
i don't know what it is meaning 

It means that you will get paid $20. Doesn't matter what price you quoted and was agreed on for this job, What matters is that escrow wasn't FULLY funded. Whatever is in escrow is what you will be paid.
then i submit a new milestone to get paid for other 30 $ 

And was that 2nd milestone FULLY funded for the remaining $30 BEFORE you started working? If esrow was partially funded in the beginning for $20 then you either just do $20 worth of work, or you tell the client to FULLY fund escrow before you will start working.

client didn't submit and asked me for alot of editing 
till he Cancel the job now 

The client probably though, that if he asked for endless editing, you would finally give up and close the contract. When you didn't then instead of wasting more time with more unecessary edits, he closed it himself.

and i did a lot of editing and work for free so ! 
what can i do now ! ? 

You can do nothing in the way of getting the rest of your money. But what you CAN do is to learn how to use this site, the procedures, and how to work with contracts and how to correctly use escrow. Learn what scams clients pull on new and unspecting freelancers. And learn how to set up the deliverables/scope of work correctly in a contract so that all this endless editing and scope creep won't happen again.

Hello
i made something called (Dispute )
After 3 Days this emails sent to me 
can you explain the meaning of it to me please ?

{"Upwork has reviewed this request and will be issuing a refund of Escrow ($20.00) to the client as well as a courtesy credit for the escrow amount to the freelancer, in order to end the job and part ways. The courtesy credit will be applied to the freelancer’s account within 5 business days. The contract and dispute are closed."}

Hi Mostafa,

This means that Upwork will reimburse  you for the agreed budget with your client. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here, if private details are involved reach out to me via PM. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

thanks i understand about private 
so this means that upwork will return money to client and send me the money 20 $ ? 
Right ? 

Hi Mostafa,

Yes that is correct, thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths