🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: when should I submit my work for payment?
Page options
kateshoshia
Community Member

when should I submit my work for payment?

Hello, I got the first job on Upwork, so now I am interested when I should submit my work for payment? I send work with messages, I did wrong? or I need to submit for payment after the client will approve my work? 

help 

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ketevan S wrote:

Hello, I got the first job on Upwork, so now I am interested when I should submit my work for payment? I send work with messages, I did wrong? or I need to submit for payment after the client will approve my work? 

help 

A fixed price contract? You need to hit the "submit for payment" button in your "my jobs" list, best to do that at the same time you send the file through messenger. 

yes fixed price, I've already sent it, so better to submit now or wait to his respond? 

prestonhunter
Community Member

I will tell you what I personally do, and I will note that this is NOT required by Upwork:

As soon as I start a contract, I create a private server or cloud instance where I do all my work and I do all my work there. I provide the client the root credentials from the beginning. So the client has constant real-time access to all of the work that I do.

I do this for hourly and fixed-price contract work.

Upwork does NOT require that you do that. I do this to put the client's mind at ease about being able to get the work that she is paying for.

For fixed-price contract work, the expectation is that you provide all fo the work specified in the milestone - in an unlocked, finished format - when you click the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button. (If you do so BEFORE, as I do, then that is fine, but you still need to click the button when it is DONE.)

For hourly work, I really prefer to think of ALL work done under an hourly contract as belonging to the client all the time. So you should provide hourly work files to the client whenever she asks. Or even better: provide them proactively, without needing to be asked.

arianerocha
Community Member

Hey everyone!
So, I just landed my first job (yey!) and now I have the same doubt. I chose to just reply here instead of creating a new topic, hope someone help me.

It's a milestone project. The payment for the first one is active and funded, it's actually a trial work, but anyway, I finished the task, they sent me a feedback, I edited, sent it back and now I'm currently waiting for the approval, but since I work on their own platform (I downloaded the file and took a few screenshots) and it's all done from there, should I wait for the approval or can I submit it for payment? Under the price it says "Due Jun 17" but it's all done really.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths