🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » work from abroad
Page options
l_tilleu
Community Member

work from abroad

Hi, I'll be in Rio next month and I would like to freelance from there, is this possible? I don't have an address yet.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Laura,

If you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily,  you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If, however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving someplace, then you should make updates to your account location. Also, it's recommended that you check with a legal adviser if you need a certain type of visa or a work permit to be able to work on Upwork while traveling.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Laura,

If you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily,  you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If, however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving someplace, then you should make updates to your account location. Also, it's recommended that you check with a legal adviser if you need a certain type of visa or a work permit to be able to work on Upwork while traveling.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello there,

I have set up my profile successfully, but working on a bigger project now.

I wan’t to start on Upwork soon. The thing is I am actually stucked in Costa Rica due to the corona virus. I think I am gonna be here for another couple of months. So usually I am from germany and I pay my taxes in germany and won’t change that. Now finally my question, is there a problem if I start working from here (Costa Rica) instead of working from Germany.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike M wrote:

Hello there,

I have set up my profile successfully, but working on a bigger project now.

I wan’t to start on Upwork soon. The thing is I am actually stucked in Costa Rica due to the corona virus. I think I am gonna be here for another couple of months. So usually I am from germany and I pay my taxes in germany and won’t change that. Now finally my question, is there a problem if I start working from here (Costa Rica) instead of working from Germany.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

This is a tax question, not an upwork question. Upwork does not care where you are (as long as you are truthful about it), if you have a work permit or not, if you pay taxes or not. That is not their responsibility. 

You need to figure out if you are legally allowed to work in this country, and you will have to pay income taxes on your earnings there, maybe also in your home country. Check out double taxation treaties between the two countries and all other laws and regulations you need to be aware of. 

many thanks for feedback,
what do you mean with "as long as you are truthful about it"
is there a department which I have to inform if I am abroad?

re: "is there a department which I have to inform if I am abroad?"

No, there is no department to inform.

It is NOT Upwork's intention that you inform them if you take a vacation in another country for a month.

But if you permanently live someplace, then Upwork wants you to identify that location accurately on your profile page. If you need to update your location information, you should be able to do so on your own. But if you are blocked from doing so, then you may need to contact Upwork Customer Support.

re: "what do you mean with 'as long as you are truthful about it'"
This just means that Upwork allows users (as clients and freelancers) from nearly every country in the world. So Upwork does not care whether you live in Germany or Costa Rica or somewhere else. You are equally welcome to use the platform. But Upwork requires that freelancers provide accurate information about their location (where they permanently live).
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths