🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » API key request rejected for strange reasons
Page options
kokroo
Community Member

API key request rejected for strange reasons

Greetings fellow members,

I requested an API key over 2 months ago but didn't receive a response for 2 months, so I reached out to the support team. They told me my key was rejected for the following reason:

"Unfortunately, your API key request was rejected due to lack of experience on the Upwork platform. I understand that this is not the news you may want to hear, but you may resubmit your API key application once you have acquired more contracts and earned from them."

I do not understand the requirements. This is not mentioned as a requirement on the API key requests page, and I guess not even in the docs?

I have earned more than 24,000$. I've been on the platform regularly for the last 1.5 years. I've had 34 contracts till now. I am Top Rated as well.

I do not understand how I don't have enough experience with UpWork then?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shiv,

I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
981eb40c
Community Member

Hi, 

I'm facing a similar problem. Although I do not have quite as much experience as the OP, I still have over $5000 earned as well as a top rated badge, but I was rejected for the same reason. It seems a bit odd that it is so hard to be granted an API key.

Are there well-defined requirements on experience that I could aim for before submitting my next application?

Thanks

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble this caused, Jason.

It looks like you’re communicating with our team regarding this request on your existing ticket. If you have any additional questions please post them on that ticket for further assistance.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
abhishek-bothra
Community Member

I'm facing same issues, I reached out Support team & asked them how much experience is required. 

They said, it is not possible for them to share how much experience or number of contracts required to get an API. Being an Agency owner it's really hard to manage all the stuff & I don't know how to explain how API key is important for us. 

I'm hoping a positve solution from Community forum, if someone can give me atleast exact number or how to get API approved so I can set my goals accordingly.