cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android vs iOS: Which Should I Learn First?

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 7

Mobile developers have the opportunity to develop different types of applications for numerous operating systems, whether they’re hybrid or native, Android or iOS. With all of the variations, choosing which OS to learn first can be confusing for a mobile developer who’s just starting out. Check out this article from a fellow freelancer, Ahmad, who shares tips on how to choose.

Mobile developers which OS do you work with, and why?

Untitled
zaitie j Member Since: Feb 6, 2016
2 of 7

Hi.

I have many experience to develop mobile apps.

I think you are asking very important thing.

I think answer is android first in common case.

Android is based on java technology and Java is based on OOP(Object-Oriented Programming).

So, if you learn java, then you can learn objective-c(for ios), easily.

But there's one thing to concentrate.

Now ios app is developed by swift language.

I think swift has some ability that script languages, such as python or ruby has.

So, if you are familiar with script languages, then learning swift is more easier.

But learning java after that will be little difficult, because of technical problems.

I hope my answer will be help you.

Thank you to read my answer.

Ace Contributor
Marcus C Member Since: Feb 7, 2016
3 of 7

Well, if you already know OOP; just flip a coin...If you do not, then start with Java/android...but objective-c takes a little time to get use to...but, why not study android one week; next week studio iphone...then keep switching...

If you know C#, then you can begin with any...google "xamarin"...

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 7

Android is probably easier because it doesn't cost anything and it's only $25 to have a dev account at Google.

iOS you need a Mac, so obviously more expensive and I believe it's $100 for a dev account.

Android is probably best for figuring out if you like to do it. I have 2 apps on the market that I wouldn't call great but make me a little bit of money each month. They were apps I made as I learned Android development.

Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
5 of 7

Why nobody specified Ionic framework or hybrid mobile applications? Although, I also agree that's more efficient to develop native applications, but more time-consuming to learn those languages if you don't know them. It feels like a fluke to learn the frameworks that bootstrap Ionic, whilst knowing that they can help you even in web development, e.g. AngularJS, Node.js, JS (especially the prototypal inheritance that's the most confusing part for new devs), the single part that feels a little bit sluggish is Cordova, but I guess I've just started and need to explore more. Yet, I still believe it's very cool to develop and have the chance to push your build to multiple platforms at once, more than one. Also the default styling included by Ionic bundle makes it really easy to make you apps resemble with native ones perfectly.

Stephan M Member Since: May 12, 2016
6 of 7

It depends on the medium and product you want to design.  If you are more into gaming / 3d application de sign then Android is definitely the way to go.  If you are trying to create an app that is intuitive yet extremely simple to operate then iOS is a better platform (at times).   As for Microsoft phones... who cares... Smiley Happy

Now moves the point to payments and regulations.  With the iOS you have to pay a yearly developer fee and all of your code must go through a fairly detailed review before Apple will allow it to be put on the store..  Android on the other hand gives 0 feces about your code (to a degree, you can't publish malicious/intrusive software or falsely advertised products)  and they only require a One time 30 dollar fee.

On to the point of languages... iOS is primarily written with Objective C.  I personally despise it but I am pretty biased toward Apple and those who blindly drink their Kool-Aide, so take that with a grain of sea salt...  Android on the other hand is native to Java (yet google has discontinued support for their browser... hyprocritical and oxymoronic..)  Personally I find that the knowledge resources available for Java Development FAR exceed those of Objective C..

When it boils down to it though...they're both acceptable and profitable if you have an app that people want and you really want to capitalize on both platforms..

Ace Contributor
Robert H Member Since: Aug 13, 2016
7 of 7

Hi Lena.

Why choose? How would you like to do both Android AND iOS - at the same time? And Windows UWP thrown in too?

Well you can! Learn Xamarin Forms. It allows you to write your codebase in C# and compile for all 3 platforms at the same time. Microsoft recently purchased Xamarin, so it's going places.