🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Re: Average wage for Developer in India
Page options
amazon_review
Community Member

Average wage for Developer in India

Hello,

I would like to know what web developers are getting paid in India, Pakistand and neighboring countries.

I have hired for several api jobs.

I always pay more than market rate to atttract quality developers.

However at times I feel I have over paid.

Anyone liek to share what hourly wage is India or that area?

Salary wage?

Also I am connecting a suppliers api to Shopify website.

For stock, listings and order synch.

I would like to know a fair price to pay for job at a fixed rate.

Developers in USA stated they could do in 2 to 4 weeks. 

I woulld appreciate any help.

20 REPLIES 20
felicedellagatta
Community Member

Dear,

I'm surprised that you hire regularly and still asking such questions.

There is no answer that would make sense because the nonsense is in the question itself.

The only question to ask is: am I satisfied with the work that has been done? If yes great, why try to cut corners or get mad because your developer earns more than "average" (whatever that means)?

Anyway you can always find a cheaper alternative, don't you?
--
"The truth is generally seen, rarely heard."

You get what you pay for.

I agree.

I asked wha t the average wage is for a devloper in india.

So I can prepare an accurate fixed price or hourly job.

@P. F wrote:

I agree.

I asked wha t the average wage is for a devloper in india.

So I can prepare an accurate fixed price or hourly job.

You are asking the wrong question, because you are not in India, you have not opened an office, furnished it, set up infrastructure and computer system, and employed (!) people. There is no such thing as "wage" in freelancing and when you hire (not employ) freelancers it is to a degree irrelevant where they are physically located.

The question should be what the average hourly rate for XYZ skill is on the Internet, specifically on Upwork.

Upwork gives you ranges when you create a job posting. For example the ranges given for full stack web development are as below.

RANGES.jpg

Accurate 

wow what a comment.

I

Wow I 100% disagree.

There is no reason to over pay.

I commented I pay more than average for good work.

I specifically asked what the wage is for a devloper in India. As many frrelancers will try to charge a large amount that does not even apply to market rate.

Any one care to comment on hourly wage or fixed job price for an api docking?

Does any one know the hourly rate for a developer in In india

Petra is 100% correct - there is no such thing as average rate in India.  Samsung, Google, Amazon, Facebook and other companies pay roughly 60-75% of US salary (I know).  Now you would ask why would they go there?  The answer is benefit structure.  Companies save money in benefits and also they can't get that caliber talent in US and can't move that talent to US becasue of Immigration policies.

And why are you so lazy?  Seach for freelancers in category you are looking for you will have dozens of profile to view and look at their rates.

Are you getting your money's worth?

Lazy . seriously.

Why do you bother to make negative comments.

I forgot people get bold when not in person.

Doubt you would speak like that face to face.

Its a shame people comment like that

Does it make you feel good.

Shows your character.

As for comment on  look at their fees.

Cant go by that as many inflate their fees and do not have qualifications.

I can tell your both freelancer not clients.

Hi Petra. 

> The question should be what the average hourly rate for XYZ skill is on the Internet, specifically on Upwork.

Ooh, a philosophical/economical claim. I'll bite!

Why should that be the question?

If this is a pragmatic "should", then clients should set a price that givesthem the best value for money. If freelancers in India will do as good a job for less money, then they should avail themselves of those favourable market conditions. It's basic microeconomics that a free-market price is determined by the prices at which suppliers are willing to supply, as well as the prices at which buyers are willing to buy.

If this is a moral "should", then it seems fair to pay a lower rate to freelancers in countries where the cost of living is less.

@Richard W wrote:

Hi Petra. 

If this is a moral "should", then it seems fair to pay a lower rate to freelancers in countries where the cost of living is less.

It has nothing to do with "moral" -

At the end of the day the question of "average wage" in a specific country is not relevant.

What is relevant is for the client to find the service and quality they want and need at the price they can afford. This is to a degree influenced by the cost of living in different provider countries, BUT is not connected to an hourly wage in that location.

If I lost my mind tomorrow and decided to move to the most expensive place in the world I couldn't tell my clients that I've tripled my rate because I moved, could I? They pay me what they pay me because that is the rate that they feel represents value for money to them. My moving to a more expensive place would not increase the value to my clients. On the flip side of the coin, if I moved to a hut in a dirt cheap place I would not lower my rates. Why should I?

@Petra R wrote:
On the flip side of the coin, if I moved to a hut in a dirt cheap place I would not lower my rates. Why should I?

Petra, I didn't say you should. Your statement and my response to it were about what clients should do, not what freelancers should do.

@Richard W wrote:

@Petra R wrote:
On the flip side of the coin, if I moved to a hut in a dirt cheap place I would not lower my rates. Why should I?

Petra, I didn't say you should. Your statement and my response to it were about what clients should do, not what freelancers should do.

Ah but it is a dance, don't you see? One can not dance without the other moving to the same rhythm...

The value / price / rate of anything that can be bought and sold is exactly what one person is prepared to pay and the other is prepared to accept. Neither client nor freelancer can decide for both parties...

@Petra R wrote:

Ah but it is a dance, don't you see? One can not dance without the other moving to the same rhythm...

The value / price / rate of anything that can be bought and sold is exactly what one person is prepared to pay and the other is prepared to accept. Neither client nor freelancer can decide for both parties...

Yes, but how is that a response to anything I wrote?

Correct I appreciate you.

claudiacezy
Community Member

@P. F wrote:

However at times I feel I have over paid.

How much did you pay hourly?

You can use different search filters to get an idea about the rates on Upwork. I'd say that the average rate is $20/hour .

https://www.upwork.com/ab/profiles/search/?q=shopify&revenue=10000&nss=90&pt=independent&hrs=100&c=w...

https://www.upwork.com/ab/profiles/search/?revenue=10000&nss=90&pt=independent&c=web-mobile-software...

fkupwork
Community Member

I have seen many clients who cherish a misconception about developers. 

I believe UpWork should consider a section called Website Implementer too. Just because someone can write one line of basic code, use plugins, know how to use stock materials, install an api, integrate payment gateway, it does not mean he is a developer. The right term is Implementer.

My 6 years of studying the Freelance Industry tells me that $25 per hour is a fair rate for an expert Indian Website Implementer whereas the rate is $60 per hour for US Website Implementer.

A developer is someone who actually built the API, Built Platforms Like Wordpress, Shopify, Prestashop, Plugins etc. etc. 

And to hire an expert developer would cost around $75 per hour from India and $200 or more from the United States. 

If you ask a Website Implementer to build something like UpWork, he might ask for 5 years+ deadline where a team of developer will ask for 2 years with specific milestones.

Hope this helps.

Sahan (Unofficial Nickname)
5053eff0
Community Member

The average hourly pay for a senior software engineer in India is ₹600.00, or $8.13 USD. I find the other responses to this feed to be self-righteous, because developers like to act like clients are made of money when that is often not the case. Many of us have dreams of building a successful app, even with our low budget, and we should not be getting taken advantage of by those who would like to ignore facts.

https://www.payscale.com/research/IN/Job=Senior_Software_Engineer/Salary

re: "The average hourly pay for a senior software engineer in India is... $8.13 USD. ...we should not be getting taken advantage of by those who would like to ignore facts."

Joshua:
Thank you for your notes on this topic.

Is there a specific change that you would like to see Upwork make in order to prevent clients from being taken advantage of? Perhaps a cap on the hourly rates that software developers living in India can be paid on the platform?

manulma
Community Member

Good moringing, if you are still interested in this question I would like to say that the average salary for fixed jobs is 50. It is okay when you suggest much or less, but the average is 50.

Another picture we have about hourly jobs, the average rate is 15, just in addition I want to say that you can suggest your average rate to your worker!

If you stille have any querion, feel free to ask.

Regards.

Mane