Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average wage for Developer in India

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 19

@Richard W wrote:

Hi Petra. 

If this is a moral "should", then it seems fair to pay a lower rate to freelancers in countries where the cost of living is less.

It has nothing to do with "moral" -

At the end of the day the question of "average wage" in a specific country is not relevant.

What is relevant is for the client to find the service and quality they want and need at the price they can afford. This is to a degree influenced by the cost of living in different provider countries, BUT is not connected to an hourly wage in that location.

If I lost my mind tomorrow and decided to move to the most expensive place in the world I couldn't tell my clients that I've tripled my rate because I moved, could I? They pay me what they pay me because that is the rate that they feel represents value for money to them. My moving to a more expensive place would not increase the value to my clients. On the flip side of the coin, if I moved to a hut in a dirt cheap place I would not lower my rates. Why should I?

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
12 of 19

@Petra R wrote:
On the flip side of the coin, if I moved to a hut in a dirt cheap place I would not lower my rates. Why should I?

Petra, I didn't say you should. Your statement and my response to it were about what clients should do, not what freelancers should do.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 19

@Richard W wrote:

@Petra R wrote:
On the flip side of the coin, if I moved to a hut in a dirt cheap place I would not lower my rates. Why should I?

Petra, I didn't say you should. Your statement and my response to it were about what clients should do, not what freelancers should do.

Ah but it is a dance, don't you see? One can not dance without the other moving to the same rhythm...

The value / price / rate of anything that can be bought and sold is exactly what one person is prepared to pay and the other is prepared to accept. Neither client nor freelancer can decide for both parties...

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
14 of 19

@Petra R wrote:

Ah but it is a dance, don't you see? One can not dance without the other moving to the same rhythm...

The value / price / rate of anything that can be bought and sold is exactly what one person is prepared to pay and the other is prepared to accept. Neither client nor freelancer can decide for both parties...

Yes, but how is that a response to anything I wrote?

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
15 of 19

@P. F wrote:

However at times I feel I have over paid.

How much did you pay hourly?

You can use different search filters to get an idea about the rates on Upwork. I'd say that the average rate is $20/hour .

https://www.upwork.com/ab/profiles/search/?q=shopify&revenue=10000&nss=90&pt=independent&hrs=100&c=w...

https://www.upwork.com/ab/profiles/search/?revenue=10000&nss=90&pt=independent&c=web-mobile-software...

I S M H Member Since: Dec 27, 2017
16 of 19

I have seen many clients who cherish a misconception about developers. 

I believe UpWork should consider a section called Website Implementer too. Just because someone can write one line of basic code, use plugins, know how to use stock materials, install an api, integrate payment gateway, it does not mean he is a developer. The right term is Implementer.

My 6 years of studying the Freelance Industry tells me that $25 per hour is a fair rate for an expert Indian Website Implementer whereas the rate is $60 per hour for US Website Implementer.

A developer is someone who actually built the API, Built Platforms Like Wordpress, Shopify, Prestashop, Plugins etc. etc. 

And to hire an expert developer would cost around $75 per hour from India and $200 or more from the United States. 

If you ask a Website Implementer to build something like UpWork, he might ask for 5 years+ deadline where a team of developer will ask for 2 years with specific milestones.

Hope this helps.

Joshua A Member Since: Aug 25, 2019
17 of 19

The average hourly pay for a senior software engineer in India is ₹600.00, or $8.13 USD. I find the other responses to this feed to be self-righteous, because developers like to act like clients are made of money when that is often not the case. Many of us have dreams of building a successful app, even with our low budget, and we should not be getting taken advantage of by those who would like to ignore facts.

https://www.payscale.com/research/IN/Job=Senior_Software_Engineer/Salary

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 19

re: "The average hourly pay for a senior software engineer in India is... $8.13 USD. ...we should not be getting taken advantage of by those who would like to ignore facts."

Joshua:
Thank you for your notes on this topic.

Is there a specific change that you would like to see Upwork make in order to prevent clients from being taken advantage of? Perhaps a cap on the hourly rates that software developers living in India can be paid on the platform?

Mane A Member Since: Oct 12, 2020
19 of 19

Good moringing, if you are still interested in this question I would like to say that the average salary for fixed jobs is 50. It is okay when you suggest much or less, but the average is 50.

Another picture we have about hourly jobs, the average rate is 15, just in addition I want to say that you can suggest your average rate to your worker!

If you stille have any querion, feel free to ask.

Regards.

Mane