🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Embedded Systems. Hardware in Software Projec...
Page options
ezequielg
Community Member

Embedded Systems. Hardware in Software Projects

Hi all.
Embedded system developers have a problem when working remotely with software projects. In general, a project requires specific sensors or a certain microcontroller that we may not have. In your experience, do you usually buy the hardware for the project or does it run on behalf of the client?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mikeeddy
Community Member

If I don't already have the specific hardware needed for a project, then I require the employer to either:

(1) buy the hardware device and / or accessories and have it shipped to me;

(2) add the cost so I can buy and ship the components to myself; or

(3) if they already have the components, have them shipped to me before the start of work date.

I also ask for their courier shipping number so I can send any client owned components back (if they want them back) after I've finished up with the project.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mikeeddy
Community Member

If I don't already have the specific hardware needed for a project, then I require the employer to either:

(1) buy the hardware device and / or accessories and have it shipped to me;

(2) add the cost so I can buy and ship the components to myself; or

(3) if they already have the components, have them shipped to me before the start of work date.

I also ask for their courier shipping number so I can send any client owned components back (if they want them back) after I've finished up with the project.

If you buy the components, how do you Bill via Upwork? Will Upwork apply commission to manual hours or bonus payments? Is this fair? Would you then need to add the commission to the hardware cost you bill the client?