🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Re: Future of C++ and C# developer
Page options
pabitrad
Community Member

Future of C++ and C# developer

I am C++ and C# developer with more than 20 years of experience. Also I am a full time freelancer for last 4 years. But I am not getting enough projects with C++ and C# skills. What should I learn from followings to get more projects?

-Machine learning

-Data SCience

-DevOps

-AWS

-Cloud computing

I tried to learn machine learing but I am not finding it easy although I have Mathematics background.

Please advice.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
caldus
Community Member

Hi Pabitra,

I used to be a C# and C++ dev myself. I still do some C# development but it is rare to come across those projects like you said. Several months ago I decided to learn a lot more about JavaScript/jQuery. Now I am much more successful on here again. The amount of JavaScript jobs is huge. I enjoy doing it too but sometimes I miss doing more C#.

I see this being the new trend and that C# jobs on here will decline further.

As far as C++, I do see some jobs for this as well. They often pay better too. I imagine the amount of freelancers who specialize in C++ on here is low so you could take advantage of that. Although it sounds like you’re not finding many C++ jobs here.

I think going forward web development will continue to be the most popular category on Upwork — knowing your way around CMS systems like WordPress will be extremely valuable too. I also started learning WordPress. I think this is the future really for better or worse. Although I do miss the more traditional days of programming.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
booksist
Community Member

@Pabitra Kumar D wrote:

...I tried to learn machine learing but I am not finding it easy although I have Mathematics background.

If it were easy, it wouldn't be much lucrative. I guess it is worth putting time.

Great that you chose to learn new skills instead of complaining about the market! Best of luck 🙂

aleksandrhovh
Community Member

The times they are a-changin'. You might find it helpful to review StackOverflow's 2018 Developer survey for some trends to see what other are doing.

Especially if you choose to pursue machine learning, you'll find that Python is a handy language to pick up. It's really easy to learn (assuming you haven't already) if you're coming from C++, since it's a much higher level language.

JavaScript is also really popular, but I dunno if you'd be interested in web development.

bobafett999
Community Member

@Pabitra Kumar D wrote:

I tried to learn machine learing but I am not finding it easy although I have Mathematics background.

Please advice.

I believe Machine learning has more to do with statistics then tradistional math.

Computer science l
caldus
Community Member

Hi Pabitra,

I used to be a C# and C++ dev myself. I still do some C# development but it is rare to come across those projects like you said. Several months ago I decided to learn a lot more about JavaScript/jQuery. Now I am much more successful on here again. The amount of JavaScript jobs is huge. I enjoy doing it too but sometimes I miss doing more C#.

I see this being the new trend and that C# jobs on here will decline further.

As far as C++, I do see some jobs for this as well. They often pay better too. I imagine the amount of freelancers who specialize in C++ on here is low so you could take advantage of that. Although it sounds like you’re not finding many C++ jobs here.

I think going forward web development will continue to be the most popular category on Upwork — knowing your way around CMS systems like WordPress will be extremely valuable too. I also started learning WordPress. I think this is the future really for better or worse. Although I do miss the more traditional days of programming.
eeshwardas
Community Member

Upwork looks to be Website Heavy favoring surface layer technologies like Node, Ruby, and Javascript.

Go into ES6 Javascript.  You will not like traditional Javascript because there is loose typing. ES6 has type strictness that is similar to C++ and C#.  Make use typeof operator comparisons often.

As far as C++ and C#, maybe try looking for statistics and analytics development and generally more science and heavy math types of jobs.  These do appear occasionally.

Still there is a need for C++ developers in low level development.

Particularly with console video games, graphic manipulation software, audio engineering software, and others like that.

The C++ language still produces more optimized compilations for these solutions than many other options.

These sorts of jobs do look to be more rare on Upwork than in the actual market.  Maybe I am wrong, but I am still seeing and using large amounts of software built with C++.

Erik Douglas W.

Erik, you bring up a great point. I have figured out the same thing about the Upwork market. It is very different from the real market. If you search for C# or C++ jobs on job sites, there are tons of results. You are right that Upwork is very front-end/website centric and not so much in terms of back-end development. That is why I made the shift to JavaScript.

I suspect that in addition to what you said, my guess is that a lot of companies that use C# or C++ would either not consider using a service like Upwork or would be hesitant in doing so because of the remote work aspect. A lot of companies simply don’t like the idea of hiring remote workers of any kind.

Andrew,

Good obvservation. 

To avoid any potential downplay of the value of remote work and Upwork's ability to provide it, I might want to reinforce what you are saying a little.

Remote work means working over the internet.  Front-End Development and Front-End Code for that matter is floating around everywhere in the internet.  There are some back end jobs on Upwork, mostly using Node and PHP scripting style platforms that are designed to simply generate front-end results.

Concrete C++ work is more prominent in Brick and Mortar style businesses.  They pay better and have longer employment retention in general than Upwork web jobs.

Both are valuable for job seekers of different kinds or at different times in their career.

Erik Douglas W.

There are here also Artificial Intelligence jobs here in Upwork. They require frameworks that generally uses Python. Python that although is my beloved (and of daily use) language, I am afraid of the day it gets displaced for other languages as go or Rust, that can one day say Pythoners obsolete. But, Python is a high level language. C is lower level, and Python is programmed in C. i don't know the status of the jobs that requres C++ (not C). Perhaps Rust, as it has low-level capabilities, will one day dwarf and meke look old C, C++ and Python :-(. But until this day comes, I think that Python is a good language for you to learn.