🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Insult by the client
Page options
ipikho
Community Member

Insult by the client

This man replied to the submitted proposal and said that:  "im not going over $X,XXX if you feel its more than that we can end things here"

The job he described we consider was over the outlined budget. So we decided to "end things there" by providing a detailed response.

In his turn he insulted the developer. I'd like to have the apologies for that behaviour.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

wrote:
OK, but warn the client at least that it's not the right way to talk to
people 

Sorry, there was no insult. If you want to stay sane as a freelancer you must immediately grow a MUCH thicker skin.

You will not get Upwork play school-teacher and slap a client's hand because you are excessively sensitive and get all bent out of shape just because a client isn't willing to pay what you are asking.

So we decided to "end things there" by providing a detailed response.

Don't do that, EVER. Once you know it's the end, wish the client luck and walk away. Do not provide "a detailed response" - the client told you they're not going to pay more, move on. Leave it be. Do not waste your and your client's time lecturing them.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ilya,

I`m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Our team will investigate this further and will take proper actions. Thank you for reporting this.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ilya:
Let's be clear about what happened:

The freelancer sent a proposal.

A client thought the proposal was too costly.

The freelancer ended up not going forward with this because the freelancer and client didn't come to an agreement about cost.

Because of this, the freelancer felt insulted.

Or maybe the client subsequently said something that the freelancer felt insulted by.

Now the freelancer wants an apology for the client's behavior?

Why?

How would that benefit the freelancer?

If the freelancer was sufficiently mercenary-minded, he wouldn't care.

There are people in this world who exhibit crude, uncouth behavior. MANY such people. I find such people uninteresting. It isn't worth my time to think about them, nor is it worth my time to seek further interaction with them.

people who spare their time to deal with his ideas and projects.

Thanks
petra_r
Community Member

wrote:
people 

Sorry, there was no insult. If you want to stay sane as a freelancer you must immediately grow a MUCH thicker skin.

You will not get Upwork play school-teacher and slap a client's hand because you are excessively sensitive and get all bent out of shape just because a client isn't willing to pay what you are asking.

So we decided to "end things there" by providing a detailed response.

Don't do that, EVER. Once you know it's the end, wish the client luck and walk away. Do not provide "a detailed response" - the client told you they're not going to pay more, move on. Leave it be. Do not waste your and your client's time lecturing them.

ipikho
Community Member

I appreciate your feedback.

It is thanks to such thick-skinned freelancers who allow such an attitude
of clients to themselves, these cads allow themselves a lot.
What if it was in the office? Such a client would be asked to leave the
office.
So why not ask him to leave the platform? Or at least ask him to be
respectful of freelancers.
Everyone has equal rights here, right? How would you feel now if, in
response to your comment, I said shut up?
petra_r
Community Member

Ilya P wrote:
How would you feel now if, in
response to your comment, I said shut up?

I'd respect your right to your opinion 🙂

To be honest, I choose my clients very carefully and don't work with people who don't communicate with me the way I expect.

In your case, it was already "game over" so you should have just walked away the moment the client said "not going to pay that."

gbr000
Community Member

This is explains why Upwork it's a horrible platform for freelancers because without discipline, it endorses bad behaviors consequently bad reputation hence bad attitude towards workers and clients.

Without discipline there only could be chaos.
petra_r
Community Member

Gabriel I wrote:
This is explains why Upwork it's a horrible platform for freelancers because without discipline, it endorses bad behaviors consequently bad reputation hence bad attitude towards workers and clients.

Without discipline there only could be chaos.

Discipline?

Upwork is not our Kindergarten Teacher and I don't expect them to ensure "discipline". I don't need my hand holding when dealing with clients.

This is a platform where clients and freelancers can connect and the less Upwork inserts itself into a professional relationship, the better for all parties, including Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths