🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Is upwork dying slowly?
Page options
geeta_sharma
Community Member

Is upwork dying slowly?

I have a software development company. We started working through upwork in 2009. The number of clients and the quality of projects is detoriating slowly. The pace of detoriation has increased multifoldes recently. Despite having the title of a top rated agency and doing good work for so long, we are not getting enough business from upwork.

Any suggestions to increase conversion rate would be appreciated.

50 REPLIES 50

Yes this is the funny part with upwork.

Any free user can post a project.
Budget is $5 - 6 months - 6 Credits.

Very simple. want to survive here - need lots of credits and patience.

Hi Shamima,

Connects are returned when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
sarar1990
Community Member

Hello, 

Yes, except some contract from big company, nearly all other projects are aiming to spend low amount and have really quality job. I feel that the platform should introduce some regulation about too low budget offers, not only the possibility to notify them. 

Hoping in some improvment that could help freelancers and agency to earn an amount that correspond to the value provided. 

Cheers, 

gkibuh
Community Member

Yeah, I personally think Upwork shouldn't even post un verified jobs, some of these fake jobs are from developers, when they get stock with a problem, they post on upwork as a job and ask the freelancer to do a demo app, and later they will ask you to explain the demo and when they get  your solution, they stop replying to your  messages. I just recently joined Upwork and I have never gotten a job. one client just did that to me.  Moreover verifying the payment is not enough and upwork should even give the client a limited time to must have choosen a freelencer to do the job without which charges will be levied on the money. Because it is inexplicable that, given the large number of freelancers on upwork someone will post a job that can only take four hours to be done and in one weeks time, he still haven't gotten someone to do it. I think that way, only serious client will come to that platform. Thanks. 

bbhadwal
Community Member

Exactly same story here. Looks like they are doing it mainly to Indians. Also, they have now a separate site for US only. I have earned over a million dollars since elance and now all bids go in vain.

Hello Mr.Roy,

Thanks for the valuable suggestion.

Imfact i planned it last year.  upwork.tech - not getting time.  as am busy with my email business.

Thank you.

Regards.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Balbir B wrote:
Also, they have now a separate site for US only.

They don't. Clients can set their jobs to "USA only" - but there is no separate site

d9202bfa
Community Member

Since early 2020 we've calculated that it's cheaper, more efficient, and better quality control to hire In-House developer team rather than outsourcing the work. That also create an Added Value for our community and that brings in more value to our business since we're a Communication Provider **Edited for Community Guidelines**... 🙂

jodut
Community Member

Its downwork now. Not worth it at all.

e98f5f32
Community Member

Personally I loved Elance (Upwork's ancestor) but since it became Upwork many problems arised. Now I don't use upwork anymore. I rely on freelancer and Fiverr.

danielhartman
Community Member

I agree, I think it is slowly dying, just like everything else that's been online a long time.  You have to be an early adopter to win, which I was.  (Been here since 2007 when it was still oDesk.)  At first I did lots of little one-offs to build my profile, then I got 2-3 big clients and they keep me busy for the most part -- but there's been nothing new in a long time.  I get invites from agencies which is super annoying (I think this is what some of you are calling fake jobs) because they are middle men.  Upwork is already the middle man, why do we need agencies on here hiring people?  I prefer to work directly with clients, but these are fewer all the time.  The good clients are going elsewhere.  The latecomers to the game are gaming this platform  (or trying to, which is destroying it, in my observation).