Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legit?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
1 of 9

Do software developers legitimately hire folks to check testing sites systems? Would such work take 2 to 5 minutes per site?

Thanks.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

Tonya, I'm a developer and I do my own testing, but 2-5 minutes seems like a very short interval for testing anything, unless there's a highly autmoted test setup or the site in question is very tiny.

3 of 9

Thanks John.

The sites are free online gaming sites, the employer claims that they are designing registrars for the companies. But they want someone to register for the game, confirm that a registration email was received and provide the in-game username that was registered.

I think it is fishy. Perhaps someone can explain to me what the scam is and how it works, just to satisfy my curiosity. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 9

This sounds very bogus.

Community Guru
5 of 9

Yes, I have withdrawn my proposal. I just wish I knew what the angle was. I tried a Google search and have yet to discover the scam. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 9

Those flash game sites are usually just scraped games off of the internet. They don't own the games. 

They wanted you to sign up for the game and see if you get a confirmation email?

Community Guru
7 of 9

Yes, all going to gameforge sites. I've not seen this scam before, so I am curious as to how they profit. (You know, in case I decide to become an evil mastermind someday.)

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 9

My only guess is that maybe he wanted to see if there was an email sent confirming to see if there was any way he could be caught and have DMCAs filed against his site. Google announced that too many DMCAs will affect search ranking, so my best guess is that he wanted to see if the developer could possibly get an alert that people are signing up from his site instead of theirs.

Just a wild guess..

Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
9 of 9

@Tonya P wrote:

Do software developers legitimately hire folks to check testing sites systems? Would such work take 2 to 5 minutes per site?

Thanks.

Yes, you should always have some sort of QA team or system when you are developing software. Not uncommon at all. I had a client last year that had two people whos entire job was QA. So for this type of work to be asked for is not uncommon, however, what this job is for sounds fishy.