cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No IP smtp server

Jamila H Member Since: Jun 19, 2016
1 of 8

Hi all

I am fairly new at this but want to set up a service based business for email marketing. 

The emails I send out will be on behalf of my clients and in bulk and ideally will not be flagged as spam so it would be through 'an outbound mail relay server'. The words are in parenthesis because it is just something I read with regards to ensuring the emails are not flagged as spam - it is not something I understand in its entirety yet (so any feedback appreciated!).

I should also be able to edit the 'from' field without having to set up permission from my clients. 

My question is:

What would I need in terms of hardware (do I need to buy a server?), software and expertise that I can outsource (network administrator?)

Thank you for any pointers

Regards

JC

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

Your mail is gonna get thrown in the junk pile. It would probably be best to see if some of the common email vendors have an API you can use. Any open relay server is likely marked as spam and if it isn't it will be soon enough, so your email will get marked as spam.

Community Leader
Sharon L Member Since: Jun 14, 2015
3 of 8

If you are using PHP, you can easily edit the "from" field:

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.mail.mail.send.php

Community Guru
4 of 8

@Sharon L wrote:

Yeah, and the recipients platform will junk it as suspicious if he's trying to masquerade as a fake sender. He's trying to spam and all he will do is find that the server gets flagged and blocked. Host providers get really pissed when this happens and will kick you off their platform because it affects all of their customers. He'll be in a neverending search for a "clean" server until it gets junked and he'll have to start looking all over again. 

Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
5 of 8

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Sharon L wrote:

Yeah, and the recipients platform will junk it as suspicious if he's trying to masquerade as a fake sender. He's trying to spam and all he will do is find that the server gets flagged and blocked. Host providers get really pissed when this happens and will kick you off their platform because it affects all of their customers. He'll be in a neverending search for a "clean" server until it gets junked and he'll have to start looking all over again. 

I use the PHP mail() and things like PEARDB's Mail Class Library on numerous systems and pretty much 99.99% of the email goes through and is not caught as SPAM by the destination SMTP systems. When I say I use it, I mean it sends notifications, updates, alerts and a lot of other types of emails.

SMTP systems aren't going to just flag an email as SPAM because it came from some random server that used PHP mail() or another function like that. It's going to flag it as SPAM based on real logic.

1) Is the sending domain (ie upwork.com) a valid domain? Yes = Good, No = Flag

2) Is the Sender (ie FROM) valid? (Real domain, proper email format, don't care if the user@ part is a real account) Yes = Good, No = Flag

3) Does the IP that the mail is coming from have a proper rDNS record? Yes = Good, No = Flag

4) Does the domain have a proper SPF record? If so, is the IP sending the email have permission via the SPF record to send mail on that domains behalf? Yes = Good, No = Flag

5) Is the sending server an open relay? Yes = Flag, No = Good

6) Is the email itself proper structured? Yes = Good, No = Flag

Then there's the whole scanning the email for the subject and body looking for SPAM flags and catches in how the email is written. So black subjects, blank bodies, etc get a flag as well. I have two SMTP servers that I built myself that are processing about 100,000 emails per day and that's just for one customer. They only wanted one but they got two for load balancing and being able to no have everything tied to a single IP address. I have them configured with a lot of rate limiting and multiple transport rules so some destinations go out the direct Internet connection and straight from the server and certain destinations go out SMTP relay to MailJet or any location they would like).

Having a properly built SMTP server that meets standards and security requirements takes less than a day unless you are really doing some high end logic on it. The most time consuming part of setting up the SMTP server, waiting for the world to see alll the DNS updates and changes.

Community Guru
6 of 8

He wants to send mail on "behalf" of his customers, which reads to me that he wants to spoof their domain and send mail as someone else.

That'll get your email blocked.

Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
7 of 8

That's what Sender Policy Framework is for. The client I have with the two mail servers that's sending 100,000 emails per day is an emergency alerts system used by States, Counties, Emergency Response, etc. All it does is send emails on behalf of about 500 counties various states.

Each of those counties that want to send email from their own domains have to add the IPs of the mail servers into their Sender Policy Framework (SPF) record. If they don't then the email is sent from one of our domains.

There are multiple ways to achive this without actually making yourself get flagged for spam.

Brian D Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
8 of 8

Send Grid is your best option.

https://sendgrid.com/