🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » The niche
Page options
gravit
Community Member

The niche

Hello everyone. I have done some projects on upwork, but now I can't get more projects for more than a month. I make 3d models for games but now there are much less projects on upwork that require this skill. Why is this happaning? should I chose more niches, or should I change my niche complitly? what can I do with this?
Thank you for your time

3 REPLIES 3
prahlad1981
Community Member

Yep, slack periods do come once in a while in your freelancing career. You can utilize this period to do a bunch of creative stuff like work on open source projects, build up your portfolio and acquire skills to better interact with a potential client. In my experience, how you write a proposal and pitch in your skills to your potential client is about 90% success on Upwork (or even freelancing in general).

Regarding career focus, my personal thinking is that being a generalist (such as full-stack developer or back-end programmer) pays a lot if you are a freelancer, whereas being in a niche (such as Rails programmer or PHP developer or even your role) pays well if you are a typical employee working for a company. There is a lot of demand in the freelance world in general, but if you stick to just one narrow skillset, there may be long periods when you may not get any work (kind of like Classical Economics or the Say's law). But again, it can differ from region to region, and your mileage may vary.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your great answer Prahlad. Maybe it's time to grow.

uaecalling
Community Member

Freelancing goes through a cycle of feat and famine. Good freelancers prepare for the worst, while enjoying the best days. Great freelancers diversify.

Here's what I do whenever I experience "slow work" days:

1. Review my profile, update it to better reflect my skills, experience and what good I can bring to client - if hired.

2. Review what other successful freelancers in my field are doing and try to replicate the good stuff. 

3. Diversify the skill set, pick up some new tool and experiement.

4. Blog, reach out to social media, share my knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kashif