🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Re: Upwork's Suggested Rates for Technical Ex...
Page options
e69b1ecf
Community Member

Upwork's Suggested Rates for Technical Expertise are way off!

Upwork's "typical range" is way off: Impacting client expectations on cost and value while deluting the true value of services.

I don't know how this is calculated but I have a feeling that international rates are somehow lumped into the calculation and are not only out of touch, they're creating an industry-wide issue!

• I created a "test" job posting for a Salesforce Consultant in the US.
    • This included the following requirements:
      • US based resource
      • Expert Level
      • Solution Architecture
    • The Typical Hourly Range I was presented: $30-$60/hour (see screenshot)

The true range should be $90-$150. No expert with certifications and years of Solution Architecture and Consulting experience in this space would ever consider $60/hour. Doesn't seem as though Upwork understands much about things they should be market leaders in, considering the market they serve.

• It is still impossible to add many Salesforce (for example) certifications because they don't exist in Upwork's system.
    • These are certifications which add significant monetary value to services provided. 
    • I've submitted a number of cases to get certifications added and 6 months later, they still haven't been.

In many cases, Clients don't know what they need or what level of experience their project requires. Plus, they don't know how to properly vet candidates for technical roles like this. So they end up settling for Entry level people who are more than happy to accept low rates like this. But this doesn't truly reflect the value of the services.

Fixing this should be a top priority. If Upwork doesn't know how to value services, they shouldn't be providing rate suggestions. This is just another thing to add to the ever increasing list of issues with Upwork.

4 REPLIES 4
tkgnewseed
Community Member

I concur.  I don't ever think the 'suggestion' is the rule of law but merely to help the freelancer make their own determination of what they are valued as.  However, I for one would like to see this impoved. 

The one I am concern with that Upwork should do is set a minimum amount for freelance services. I sometimes find prospecting clients wanting something done for $5 and are asking for an 'Expert'.  I believe this is flawed as well. I'd would change this method that if a client checked the box for an 'Expert', then it should show a minimum amount that the client will have to pay regardles if it takes 5 minutes or 1 hour.  Of course this should be adjusted to reflect each of the market regions such as U.S. India, etc.

Sorry, I did not mean to add to the topic.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Paul,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. The hourly histogram is something we've been testing, and you can find more information about it in this announcement thread. It is meant to assist/guide clients who may not know what budgets are for their job. A client may know the end product they are looking for but may not know how that is created. It is based on typical hourly rates freelancers charge in the selected category and selected expertise level. Clients can use this information or set their own range when posting their job.

Currently, only certifications listed here can be validated and added to the Certification section of the profile. The team is working on expanding the list, but we don't have any ETA for when specific certifications will be added. In the meantime, you can still use the Portfolio or Overview sections of your profile to highlight your certifications, making sure to remove any direct contact information.

~ Bojan
Upwork
gbr000
Community Member

One of another reasons why I'm leaving this website, never in my life I accepted any job for less than 50€-150€(just a simple exclusive task that requires someone who knows for decades about computer, programming, OS) this would be my cheapest price, considering many factors and it could be thousands if the task were more specialized.

In this app lots and lots! Of clients want computer jobs for 5€-20€ which for me it's total disrespect! They cannot even ask that in their local city, now they're asking all sorts of absurds "specialized with so many tasks" for 100€. It's like "hey here programmer take a tip and clean my shoes"

Absurd! Terrific!!!!

re: "One of another reasons why I'm leaving this website..."

You use the word "leaving" differently than I do.