🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Web Developer / Web Designer
Page options
reggiegeografo13
Community Member

Web Developer / Web Designer

Hi,

I started with Odesk way way back, but since I had a full time job, I decided to lay low. Now that I'm free of commitment and decided to be a full-time freelancer - I'm starting from scratch. My profile is complete, I've taken tests relevant to my skills as well. Although my portfolio is full and genuine, those are outside Upwork platform. Now I'm stuck. After 20 proposals submitted, only one responded, it's currently under the "Active Candidacy" in My Proposal. However, the problem is - my profile is still set to private due to inactivity. I already requested to publicized my profile and was adviced to wait for 72 hours. The question is, will I get invited for an interview even though my profile is private? If not, then that means the 1 prospected client that responded will probably decline my candidacy, for sure. 

Why is it so difficult now? Could anyone please advise.

Reggie Geografo

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Reggie,

I’ve reset your profile visibility back to public. Just so that you are aware, freelancers with no earnings in 30 days will have their profile set to private (locked) automatically. To avoid this, you can resume earnings on a new contract or upgrade your membership to the Plus plan. You can check out more info about this here.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Reggie,

I’ve reset your profile visibility back to public. Just so that you are aware, freelancers with no earnings in 30 days will have their profile set to private (locked) automatically. To avoid this, you can resume earnings on a new contract or upgrade your membership to the Plus plan. You can check out more info about this here.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you Goran,

I was actually planning to upgrade to premium, since I consider myself a newbie. Just so until I gain a better reputation and a good amount of employment history. Again, I appreciate your prompt response in regards to my concern. Thank you so much.

Yours,

Reggie Geografo

Reggie G wrote:

Thank you Goran,

I was actually planning to upgrade to premium, since I consider myself a newbie. Just so until I gain a better reputation and a good amount of employment history. Again, I appreciate your prompt response in regards to my concern. Thank you so much.

Yours,

Reggie Geografo

Why update to freelancer plus? How does it help you? (Genuinely interested. The seems to be a myth floating around that it does something, just wondering what that is.)

Hello,

I also would like have my profile visibiity change back to public. And no, your "help" option isn't allowing me to contact support. It keeps sending me to community, hence the reason I am requesting here.

Tariq.

Hi Syed,

I’ve reset your profile visibility back to public. Just so that you are aware, freelancers with no earnings in 30 days will have their profile set to private (locked) automatically. To avoid this, you can resume earnings on a new contract or upgrade your membership to the Plus plan. You can check out more info about this here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi i am full stack developer new to upwork can you please check my profile and sugest important things 

caldus
Community Member

Hi Reggie,

Wow your situation and mine are very similar. I started freelancing on here way back in 2011 when this site was called ODesk. I was working full time as well so didn’t work that many hours on here initially. Then I decided to start freelancing full time last year. Since then I’ve done really well on here. Here are some things I did in order to become more successful on here:

1. Before I had quit my full time job, I made sure I had projects lined up on here and already had a few projects in my work history with good reviews. I know you said you quit already though.

2. For my first few jobs, I showed a substantial amount of interest in every job I applied for. I took a lot of time to write a very tailored proposal to that client. I also lowered my hourly rate slightly. Don’t lower it too much though or else new clients will wonder why you’re charging them so much more than the previous client.

3. Become specialized in one thing and do it really well. For me, I used to be a C++ and C# dev at my full time jobs. But on Upwork these jobs are rare. I decided to invest time in sharpening my JavaScript skills since I already had some JS experience and this skill is in very high demand on Upwork. It has been roughly 8 months since I started and I am now getting 5 invites or more a week. Granted, some of the jobs are too low paying or I’m simply not interested ... sometimes a good job comes my way. It is easier to get offers than it used to be at the beginning. As you get more good reviews and build up your portfolio section, all of this will become easier for you.

4. Don’t get discouraged if you’ve submitted 20 proposals and you’re getting no offers. Even the most experienced freelancers on here have slow periods too. I had a slow period recently. But do spend a lot of time making sure your proposals are to the point but also very tailored. The worst thing to do is to copy and paste the same text in each proposal. I’ve hired people before and it’s annoying to read generic proposals where it was obvious they didn’t read the job post ... or at least I had no way of knowing so I declined their proposal.
c076757d
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

My name is Abdussalam Abdulfatah and I am a Full Stack Developer and I am happy to be in this community.

Cheers
Abdul