cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think for WinForms

Aleksandar I Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
1 of 9

As you (developers) know, WinForms is somewhat old technology for desktop development. It is becomming harder and harder for a developer to find job that utilize this technology.

But I am passionate about it and I am trying hard to stay in that field. Of course that doesn't mean I don't accept other job opportunities, but I am giving priority on those that are WinForm related because I apsolutely love it.

Still I wanted to know how other developers out there are feeling about this and what real situation is. Do you also consider it difficult to find WinForm related job? Is your technology of choise already changed, or you find it easy to get hired for WinForm related job?

Thank in advance to all that will give their thoughts, advices and experiences.

Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
2 of 9

You can do more, and do it better with XAML; i.e. WPF; Blend; Windows Apps.

MS is committed to the XAML / WPF technology (for now); Windows Forms is an alternative for (some) Windows desktop apps.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 9

Time to upgrade. Welcome the world of technology.

Giving a customer a WinForms app is pretty terrible to do as a dev, because you're handing him 10 year old technology that could get phased out in the next couple of years. Do WinForms work with Windows 10?

Kinda like when I know the type of dev someone hired when they give a customer a classic ASP app (yeah, I've seen that from Upwork devs)

Aleksandar I Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
4 of 9

Not to be understood wrong. I wouldn't propose, convince or force client to start new project using WinForms. Further more, big client comes already prepared and knows what and why they prefer some technology over some other.

Talking for clients who came to me and are looking for WinForm developer to support old applictaion that can't just be converted overnight to some new technology. There are many reasons why some clients still stay with WinForms: budget, time, unability to just upgrade the entire system etc..

Just small example. Few months ago I was hired to support converting of WebForms huge project to MVC. But the project is so huge and the number of pending tasks is so big that nobody even talks about any conversion. Client is only eager to see the tasks being resolved and requested features implemented.

Anyway, I wish that number of clients is big as it was like 4 years ago for a simple reason: I am passionate about that old technology. So I was wondering if others freelancers feeling the same about the decreased number of WinForms opportunities... 

I am also working on other projects utilizing other technologies of course if not I wouldn't survive long Smiley Happy

Of coruse WinForms can be used on Win 10. We are talking about Microsoft, system that is 100% backward compatible Smiley Happy. This is not Java where every version has ton of changes and what worked with Java5 doesn't work with Java6 Smiley Happy

n c Member Since: Jul 3, 2016
5 of 9

handing a client a new project in written in classing ASP should be punishable 

Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
6 of 9

There are clients that do look for support for older technologies although they are rare. I just did a search for Foxpro and there are 3 pages of pojects. Since this is 20 year old technology they should probably look to upgrade to something more modern. To each their own.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 9

I think wind farms are more practical than WinForms.

n c Member Since: Jul 3, 2016
8 of 9

Im not a huge fan of XAML but if writing a new windows app it would be irresponsible to use winforms. 

Ace Contributor
Phuong D Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
9 of 9

There is no old term for anything when there are still market for it. As long as it needs to be installed in client PC, who cares if it is winform or XAML or whatever it is. I'm not concerned about the what I use to create the solution, I'm more on what I give them actually do what they want, even a DOS based console app will be the winner if it does what they need.

Another example, I did spend hours to just find out a way to install VB6 in Windows 8 so that I can tweak a 20 year old application for the client.. and after all it doesn't matter.