Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is up with clients not hiring?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Melinda M Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
1 of 23

I would like to know why Upwork does not put a stop to clients posting a job and not hiring anyone. I, along with other freelancers, have wasted many connects applying to job posts and a month or more will go by, and the client has done nothing to move forward with hiring anyone. 

If the clients are not serious about hiring freelancers, then there should be a penalty after a period of time against the client. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
2 of 23

Melinda M wrote:

I would like to know why Upwork does not put a stop to clients posting a job and not hiring anyone. I, along with other freelancers, have wasted many connects applying to job posts and a month or more will go by, and the client has done nothing to move forward with hiring anyone. 

If the clients are not serious about hiring freelancers, then there should be a penalty after a period of time against the client. 

I would like to see the post removed after 30 days and connects returned to the freelancer.  One can dream....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 23

Melinda M wrote:

A penalty?

When you go shopping for shoes, would you appreciate shops which impose a penalty on you if you don't buy after looking around? Would you EVER set foot in such a shop again?

Do you think getting rid of clients en masse is good for freelancers?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Melinda M Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
4 of 23

Petra,

I'm talking about clients that post jobs and don't bother doing anything with it at all. A month or more will go by, and the client hasn't looked at it or interviewing anyone for the position. I'm not saying to get rid of the client; I just said some penalty for not "following through" or posting a job offer and not go through Upwork to hire someone. I believe it's dishonest and deceiving. But that's just me. It wastes time and connects.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 23

Melinda M wrote:

I'm talking about clients that post jobs and don't bother doing anything with it at all. A month or more will go by, and the client hasn't looked at it or interviewing anyone for the position.

The way to completely eliminate that frustration is by sending off the proposal and never, ever giving it another thought unless and until a client contacts you back.

Melinda M wrote:

I'm not saying to get rid of the client; I just said some penalty for not "following through"

"Imposing a penalty" results in clients running screaming from the platform and going to others where they do not get penalized. So "imposing a penalty" = "getting rid of the client."

Do you want to be penalized for trying on a pair of shoes and not buying them and not explaining to the shoe shop why you're not buying them? After all, the shop has to pay rent and bills and stock, so customers should be penalized for not "following through" - surely... No?

Clients may be posting their jobs on several platforms or their projects fall through or they just don't like any of the applicants or their project gets done in house or they are hit by a bus.

Ultimately it really does not matter. Apply, move on, don't look back.

If it bothers you so much, stick to clients with a high hire-rate,

Highlighted
Mobin A Member Since: Aug 20, 2019
6 of 23

In my opinion, the clients should not be penalized and neither shall we for wasting our connects on them. Getting half of our connects back after 30 days is reasonable for us, and it will do us good.

Highlighted
Humberto J Member Since: Jan 12, 2020
7 of 23

Clients should never be penalized, but should only give some sign of progress in hiring their project or signal that it is [in progress] or [frozen] or [restructuring], but should report something to job seekers.

Highlighted
HARUN M Member Since: Dec 29, 2019
8 of 23

What about connects Petra R?

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
9 of 23

Hi HARUN,

Connects are returned when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Nazia Rahman U Member Since: Sep 17, 2017
10 of 23

Hi,

Thank you for reply.
Need another help i'm not receiving any job invitations can you tell me why ?

is there any problem with my profile ?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS