🐈
» Groups » Upwork Engineering » Forum » Re: Wordpress Developer - When to hire in the...
Page options
9b220c3a
Community Member

Wordpress Developer - When to hire in the process?

Our company seeks to hire a freelance Wordpress Developer and would like some guidance as to when it would be okay to post the project description and get started with someone.

Currently the wireframing is complete with placeholders for some of the copy content and photos. Our team needs to spend some time narrowing down the copy and choosing more photos. See attached images to get a feel for where we are in the process.

Notes:

1. While we already have a website, this one will be starting fresh and our current site is not Wordpress.

2. Our team wants to be able to update and maintain the site once it is online. 

I'd like to hire someone to get started as we finish working through content, but I don't want to jump the gun either.

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

wireframe overviewwireframe overviewcontent examplecontent example

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

6 pages is small.

You don't necessarily need to economize, try to find the "best value", or assemble a team for that.

The larger your project is, the more likely it is that you will want to have more than one person on your development team.

If you had a project that would last many weeks or months, of course you would want to take some time to hire multiple people, and then continue working only with the ones who are the best fit for your project.

re: "You are saying, post the project, start working with up to three people in the initial stage of the process and then decide who is the best fit moving forward?"

Yes.

Post a job.

Hire multiple people.

Three people. Four people. Eight people.

It depends on the size of the job.

6 pages implement in Wordpress?
One person is fine. Because if she is very expensive or very inexpensive, it doesn't really matter.

A project that may last many weeks or months?
HIre more people, so you can save money, save time, and get the best possible quality.

re: "Is this pretty common when hiring a freelance website developer? Meaning, do the developers expect this type of hiring strategy?"

I can't give you an exact number with regards to how common it is.

I know that many of the problems we see clients have trace back to them hiring only one freelancer.

Do freelancers expect this?
Most all Upwork freelancers understand that large projects are likely to be done by more than one person.

Freelancers understand that working as a freelancer is a "work-for-hire", "at will" situation. They know a freelancing job may end at any time.

You also may want to strongly consider hiring Wordpress freelancers AND non-Wordpress website developers.

If you are only going to create a 6-page static website and be done with it, then don't worry about doing this.

But if you plan to have interactivity and expand very much beyond that, you are severely limiting yourself if you only consider Wordpress.

You would be better off in the long run if you posted two job postings, one that states this project will ONLY be done using Wordpress, and one that states that NO Wordpress will be used on the project.

Hire freelancers to create Wordpress and non-Wordpress versions of your site so that you can evaluate the experience and make a more informed decision about which you like best.

Or hire a few consultants and specifically state in your job posting that they will not be doing any work, but will only be talking to you about your website and about the pros and cons of using Wordpress versus not using it.

Deciding to use Wordpress to create your website is sort of like deciding to purchase Toyotas for your company's vehicle fleet because you own a Toyota. That may indeed work for you. But... Are you certain that no other auto maker might be a better fit for your company's needs?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

You should hire developers as early in the process as possible. Talk to them. Even if they aren't going to do any hands-on work immediately, you will benefit from having their input about what you can do to make their jobs easier.

If you have only six pages, you could probably just hire one person. It doesn't really matter how expensive they are, because it's only six pages. So hire one of the most expensive freelancers you can find and afford.

But if this is a big project, I think it would be a mistake to hire only a single Wordpress developer.

If you hire only one, how would you know whether not she is any good? How will you know whether or not she is extremely expensive or a very good value?

The more people you hire, the more you will have an opportunity to choose which ones you prefer to work with moving forward.

I would hire at least three to start out with.

If one of them is terrible and one is competent but extremely expensive and another one is also very competent but much less expensive... Then you will know who to continue working with.

Over 30 thousand people auditioned for the part of "Maria" in Steven Spielberg's new "West Side Story."

The developer of your site is an important position for your organization. Obviously it doesn't make sense to consider only one stranger to do that.

Thank you for your feedback, Preston! It is helpful to know that we can proceed with the job post at this point in the process.

I have just one question about hiring multiple WordPress Developers. You are saying, post the project, start working with up to three people in the initial stage of the process and then decide who is the best fit moving forward? Is this pretty common when hiring a freelance website developer? Meaning, do the developers expect this type of hiring strategy? 

You are right, our website is only 6 pages right now but we would like to have the ability to expand in the future. We've only worked with a couple of website companies over the years and this will be our first experience hiring a freelance developer.

Our company recently worked with a freelance designer on Upwork with great success, so we wanted to start here with this project.

Thank you again for your recommendations. 

6 pages is small.

You don't necessarily need to economize, try to find the "best value", or assemble a team for that.

The larger your project is, the more likely it is that you will want to have more than one person on your development team.

If you had a project that would last many weeks or months, of course you would want to take some time to hire multiple people, and then continue working only with the ones who are the best fit for your project.

re: "You are saying, post the project, start working with up to three people in the initial stage of the process and then decide who is the best fit moving forward?"

Yes.

Post a job.

Hire multiple people.

Three people. Four people. Eight people.

It depends on the size of the job.

6 pages implement in Wordpress?
One person is fine. Because if she is very expensive or very inexpensive, it doesn't really matter.

A project that may last many weeks or months?
HIre more people, so you can save money, save time, and get the best possible quality.

re: "Is this pretty common when hiring a freelance website developer? Meaning, do the developers expect this type of hiring strategy?"

I can't give you an exact number with regards to how common it is.

I know that many of the problems we see clients have trace back to them hiring only one freelancer.

Do freelancers expect this?
Most all Upwork freelancers understand that large projects are likely to be done by more than one person.

Freelancers understand that working as a freelancer is a "work-for-hire", "at will" situation. They know a freelancing job may end at any time.

You also may want to strongly consider hiring Wordpress freelancers AND non-Wordpress website developers.

If you are only going to create a 6-page static website and be done with it, then don't worry about doing this.

But if you plan to have interactivity and expand very much beyond that, you are severely limiting yourself if you only consider Wordpress.

You would be better off in the long run if you posted two job postings, one that states this project will ONLY be done using Wordpress, and one that states that NO Wordpress will be used on the project.

Hire freelancers to create Wordpress and non-Wordpress versions of your site so that you can evaluate the experience and make a more informed decision about which you like best.

Or hire a few consultants and specifically state in your job posting that they will not be doing any work, but will only be talking to you about your website and about the pros and cons of using Wordpress versus not using it.

Deciding to use Wordpress to create your website is sort of like deciding to purchase Toyotas for your company's vehicle fleet because you own a Toyota. That may indeed work for you. But... Are you certain that no other auto maker might be a better fit for your company's needs?

This is such great information. Thank you again for taking the time to explain in detail some of the nuances in selecting the right candidate for this project. I really like the suggestion of hiring a consultant(s) first to take a look at where we are at and what things we need to consider moving forward. 

Have a wonderful day! 

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer F wrote:

You are saying, post the project, start working with up to three people in the initial stage of the process and then decide who is the best fit moving forward? Is this pretty common when hiring a freelance website developer?

It is in Preston's opinion. In general, not so much. I makes sense in some cases, no sense in most unless you have big wads of money to throw around. 

Jennifer F wrote:

Meaning, do the developers expect this type of hiring strategy?  

No, they do not.

9b220c3a
Community Member

Thank you for your feedback Petra. I appreciate hearing multiple opinions.

faheem955
Community Member

From the looks of the website in the pictures attatched with the post... The website is pretty small, only 6-7 pages. About the question, when to post the job and hire someone, I would recommend posting the job as soon as you can and talk to the person you want to hire, about the current situation and design. I myself make WordPress websites so I can assure you from experience that freelancer's input could really be helpful in the current process of designing even if it's not his work to do, he can help you out with certain possibilities in the design or functionality that you might miss. 

Once the design is final you can start a contract with the person and get your website ready. Talking to the developer could really help both of you as you can get the input of an expert on the website design and the freelancer can really understand what you want so he will do what's best for you.