🐈
» Forums » Support » 10% reduction in jss
Page options
kulsoom9
Community Member

10% reduction in jss

Hi upwork,

I recently closed a contract that had lasted 4 months because the client was unresponsive. He set up 3 milestones but funded 1. I was paid by upwork and he went AWOL. He came online briefly to say he was going through some stuffs. I decided to leave the contract after that because he seemed genuinely nice. 

When I closed this $50 contract my jss reduced by 10%. Upwork, I worked so hard to get a 100% jsss and you reduced it to 90% because I closed an inactive contract? It feels unfair because I've been consistently getting 5 stars review... Then I lose 10% for this 1 thing?

It's unfair! 

4 REPLIES 4
PradeepH

Hi Umm-Kulthum,

Thank you for your message. The JSS has not been reduced because you closed an inactive contract but it was affected due to low ratings on one of your recently ended contracts. Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Job Success scores more accurately represent a freelancer’s reputation by taking additional details indicating client satisfaction into consideration. This includes private and public feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not necessarily reflected in your star rating or profile. You can learn more about JSS here. Any score at 90% or above is excellent, and puts you on track to earn and maintain the Top Rated status. We encourage you to worry less about minor changes in your score, and instead focus on your overall work quality. You can read more about boosting your score here

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
kulsoom9
Community Member

I have gotten a full 5 stars rating for my last 5 jobs on upwork.. I attached a screenshot.. That's why this reduction truly shocked me. 

petra_r
Community Member

Umm-Kulthum A wrote:

I have gotten a full 5 stars rating for my last 5 jobs on upwork..

Stars are irrelevant. The average on Upwork is 4.9... Clients leave 5 stars by default unless they really detested the freelancer's work, and then even then. What affects the JSS is the private feedback. It wasn't the contract that closed without feedback, it was the other one.

petra_r
Community Member

Umm-Kulthum A wrote:

Upwork, I worked so hard to get a 100% jsss and you reduced it to 90% because I closed an inactive contract?

No, they didn't.  Closing an inactive contract has absolutely no effect on your JSS in any way, shape or form.
You got poor private feedback in a contract that ended in the last 2 weeks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths