🐈
» Forums » Support » UpWork Investigating Possible Account Violati...
Page options
34d10fe0
Community Member

Account Suspended | Cannot Post in the Community

Good day, I hope this message finds you well and good. So, I have two issues. I have created this account because I want to post this to the Upwork community for help and support. I have tried all available means known to me post my issue on the community forum and reach out for support but to no avail. I understand that it is against Upwork's ToS to have more than one account and I abide to that. So I'd delete this account as soon as this issue is resolved. 

1. On Thursday, 29th October, 2022, I tried to buy some connects as I was out of connects and I wanted to apply for a job. As a result of this, I was requested to input my payment details. I did as requested, however, the card details I imputed could not be verified and for this reason, my Upwork account, Abdul-Aziz Osikoya, was partially suspended. I have access to it but cannot apply to jobs, accept a new offers, etc. It was mentioned that I can automatically resolve the suspension by inputting another payment details or using a PayPal account. I inputted another payment details which was accepted but awaiting verification. Since then, my account is yet to be unsuspended and I cannot do much with it. Please can you help me check it out and help me resolve this issue. 

Another thing that bothers me concerning this suspension is that I was the one who wanted to purchase something from Upwork and yet because my initial card details couldn't be verified, I was suspended. That seems absurd. Upwork was not requesting me to verify anything yet it suspended me for trying to input information about my payment details. Also I did not do anything to violate the Upwork ToS. Please help shed more light on this because I feel this kind of situation is very annoying. I was about to accept a contract offer from a client when this occurred and because of it, I couldn't. 

2. Secondly, I'm not able to post or reply to any post on the community forum from my original account. It says that I should verify my email or the reason that I cannot post is that I am not allowed to reply on a particular post. Please help me out. What should I do to resolve this issue?

Mind you, my email has been previously verified and my account is fully active. I have also posted previously, once, in the community. 

Thank you very much. 

Regards, 

Abdul-Aziz. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Janine,

If the action buttons that you usually use are grayed out, the Trust & Safety team may have suspended your account. In that case, you will have received a support ticket with an email notification about the action on your account. Please refer to your ticket here and reply to the email if you have any questions for the team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

649 REPLIES 649

Hi Aleksandar,

Apologies for the delay as our support teams are currently experiencing a higher number of contacts than usual. Rest assured the team will address your concerns and questions in the ticket as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork
cupara
Community Member

Thank you for your reply Annie Jane B.

Alright. If you can urge them somehow that would be much appreciated. My work depends on this matter. I already suffer consequences for being idle for 4 days. 

Thanks

Aleksandar

Community Member

my Upwork id email is : **Edited for Community Guidelines**

my account was suspended long ago. I messaged customer support nobody replied...why?????

i want to return my id back..please help me to get my id back.

thank you

arifzilane
Community Member

One of my Clients account is Suspended! How can I help him to recover his account again? 

You cannot. This client must contact support himself.

Already contacted! But no changing! 

e89ada8f
Community Member

My account has been suspended and it has not told me why. I was told I would receive an email with an explanation, however, I have not received an email. I can not go onto the forum to request for help as it requires me to sign in, again I can not sign is as I have been suspended. I have appealed this decision, I was told it would take 48 hours for a respond, I have had no response. I attempted to sign up with another email and it suspended that account also.

I need help as I have work on upwork to complete.

Herewith the emails that were suspended:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please can someone fix this.

Kind regards

Hi Yohan,

I've checked with the team and they'll be following up on your appeal soon via email.

~Andrea
Upwork
yiannimercer
Community Member

Hi!  UpWork is investigating my account / project I just completed.  I will spare the small details, but essentially I had a connection off LinkedIn who wanted to pay me for consulting on a project.  At the time, I was very new to freelancing and the UpWork platform.  I did not have an official method for her to pay me, so I suggested moving to UpWork off LinkedIn and I could accept a job she would post.  In hindsight and after research, I realize I could have another way for her to pay and she could leave a testimonial without being a direct UpWork client.  As a result, of this situation the project looks like we just opened one to close it out right away. I understand why this would cause UpWork to investigate and raise concerns about a possible account violation, but I've explained this to the adminstrator who has reached out twice now and I am lucky if I get a reply.  I have had two different UpWork admins reply to the open request just once each in the 4-5 days it's been open.  I pay for Freelancer Plus and since the request has been opened I haven't been able to apply to any jobs.  I told the admins that I am willing to just forgo the earnings and the project on my profile. In other words, to just make it like I never accepted the proposal.  Is this something that can be done? Additionally, is there a direct line I can call at UpWork to discuss this with someone.  It is very aggravating to wait 24 hours + to get a reply from UpWork.  I understand they are just doing their due-dillgence, but this misunderstanding is causing me to miss out on sending proposals.  Thank you and I appreciate anyone who can offer any relevant information!! 

You need to wait, no other ways.

Hi Yianni,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community and I'm sorry to learn about the status of your account. Unfortunately, we can't disclose any information or actions being taken on a user's account due to privacy and security reasons. However, I can see that you've been in contact with the appropriate team and currently discussing how to resolve the issue. We highly suggest you continue doing that through this ticket or your email so that they can assist you accordingly and more efficiently.

~ Arjay
Upwork
dynamicproducer
Community Member

I have been using upwork since before it was even called that.  My account is suspended b/c I forgot to update a credit card.  I updated the credit card and it says all teams are resumed but my account is not out of this status.   I have already paid the bill, updated cards on all my teams and its still not updating.  Chat support is disabled and I can't get anyone on email or phone.  This is riduclous.  Posting here hoping someone sees it.  This is a serious upwork bug and preventing me from doing what i come here to do which is hire people.

It is correct way. Moderators can help you with request here.

Hi Felisha,

Thank you for reaching out to us and as Mykola mentioned, we'll be more than willing to assist you here in the Community. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here and coordinate with the team once your case is fully reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f2b3d622
Community Member

I am incredibly confused and worried.

I've been using my main Upwork account since last year and I've been taking active work since June. I also earned my Top Rated badge last month.

3 days ago, while trying to login to Upwork on my new phone, I was stuck with long security questions, but when I tried it on the computer, I saw that my account was closed.

I quickly contacted the help center and was told that this was due to security and that I would be contacted within 24 hours. It has been 2 days since then.

I can't reach some of my clients right now, I missed my interview 3 days ago for a $3000 job.

I receive payments from my current customers through upwork, we had to stop operations this week.

I had money inside that I couldn't withdraw and I'm worried about it.

And I'm most worried about this: So if anyone who knows my e-mail address had tried a few times, my account would have been closed and I would have received such a late response from Upwork. Today is the 3rd day, but due to the time difference, I seem to wait for the 4th day again. I haven't been getting any replies to my emails since yesterday. Even where I need to check my ticket, I cannot log in because my account has been closed.

I would be very happy if I could get the help of someone competent.

I believe my ticket number is #39771823 according to the email. I haven't been able to verify yet as I haven't gotten a separate response and can't access their website.

Hi Zeynep,

Apologies for the delay as our support teams are currently experiencing a higher number of contacts than usual. Rest assured the team will address your concerns and questions in the ticket as soon as possible.

Please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi, Annie.

Thank you for your response, unfortunately I can't do anything but wait. I still haven't gotten a response. I hope I don't lose my efforts so simply.

Best regards, Zeynep

Hello Annie, I sent my ID yesterday and was told that it will be returned within 24 hours. It's been 30 hours since then. I still don't get an update or response. It's the 5th day of trying to open my account. I am in serious financial loss trying to do upwork my main job, can you please help me speed up the process?

Despite your busyness, any message that is said to be returned within 24 hours is not returned within 24 hours. As I adapt myself to the e-mails, my work becomes more disruptive. What can I do to prevent this from happening next week?

Hi Zeynep,

Arjay here stepping in for Annie Jane. I took a closer look at your account and it doesn't need further verification just yet. Please note that you will not be able to initiate the identity verification yourself and it cannot be requested. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions on how to complete your verification. You may want to check this help article for more information. 

Could you please confirm if you're referring to another/different account? Let us know if we'll assist you accordingly. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Any news and information about this matter? Frankly, I've been seeing a lot of issues similar to yours and people get little to no help whatsoever. It raises a very concerning question about the state of Upwork right now. This can be something that can become a hot topic which hopefully, will make UpWork a little more careful in the future. Closing someone's profile with job offers and big achievements done on it after a year of working on it passionately out of the blue is really a big concern. 

Hi David, thank you for asking.

I am waiting for another 24 hours so I can say goodbye to my work this week.

I feel like my reputation for my clients has been tarnished, after all, the profile of the person they work for seems to be completely gone and I can't be reached, I'd start looking for someone new instead of me... 

But if it is a common situation as you say, I wish they are aware of it.

d4dc1e28
Community Member

hey

My account open and earning pless help?

Hi Lalon,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the action taken on your account. I can see that the team has already reached you via a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. You can also view and respond to the support ticket via the email notification sent to your registered email address. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork
867b58a3
Community Member

Dear Upwork Team,

I am writing to follow up on an issue with my account that has yet to be resolved. I am still unable to open a new contract for my clients, and it has been a week since I have been trying to follow up with the team.

To refresh your memory, my account was suspended, and I was asked to verify my ID. I attempted to do so using my driver's license, but unfortunately, Upwork could not verify it. I then tried again but to no avail. The issue is that I just turned 18 this year, and at present, I do not have any government-issued ID other than my driving license, which I used when signing up for my profile.

I kindly request that you accept my driving license as my ID and release my profile so that I may open a new contract for my clients. If necessary, I am willing to prove my identity through a live video call to confirm that I am the owner of this profile, named "Justin Bundt."

I hope you can understand the urgency of this matter, and I request that you resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Hi Justin,

Please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork
867b58a3
Community Member

Hey, Andrea Thank you for replying. I apologize for creating another ticket. I was just worried about the account. Because the Upwork team is not accepting my driver's license and this is the only document I have. So I would appreciate it if the team will resolve the issue as I'm not able to start a new contract with my client. Thank you ^^

2290604b
Community Member

Hi!

Apply button is not working. It's just gray instead of being green. 

Can anyone help me with this issue, please?

Thanks

Hi Stepan,

I checked and it looks like our team reached out to you about this via this support ticket. Please follow up with them directly so they can help you. You can reopen the ticket by replying to the email notification sent about it.

~Andrea
Upwork
cab04fcb
Community Member

I am posting it on behalf of my close friend because he is not able to. His account was suspended because he was falsely accused of forging the documents. (Ticket ID 39736112)One of his uploaded documents had his Father’s name misspelled, and Agent thought it was forged and permanently suspended his account. Upon this confirmation, he shared ample evidence, such as his two passports (old and new), voter id, driving license, and bank passbooks (which have his photos), he even uploaded a video showcasing physical Cards of my tax ID (the one which Agent thought is forged), and his government issued ID and also shared a screen recording of authenticating my Aadhaar Card on the government website. Also, he is very much willing to do Video KYC and showcase his physical IDs 

If only someone could review the documents submitted, it could very easily be identified that nothing has been forged. He tried to file an appeal, but he received a generic response stating that he is his due to violations on your account. But the point is he DIDN’T VIOLATE ANY RULES, and the Agent probably didn’t even bother to review the documents he submitted just because he is permanently suspended. He has a 4-year-old account and earned more than 106K, and years of hard work have gone in vain just because one Upwork Agent made a wrong judgement without giving him a chance to explain himself. It’s not his fault that one of the IDs has his Father’s name misspelled; he has other IDs which has his father’s correct name.  

How is any freelancer supposed to feel safe when years of long hard work have gone in vain just because one Agent made a bad judgement? If only he had been given a chance to explain, this situation wouldn’t have happened. I understand there are scammers, but not everyone is a Scammer, and there are a few innocent people as well who are being falsely accused. The Freelancer has the evidence in the world to prove his innocence but just isn’t being heard

Hi Era,

We won't be able to discuss the status of another user's account for privacy and security reasons. However, rest assured that decisions to suspend a user's account are not taken lightly and without fully investigating for TOS violations.

Please, refer to this help article for general reasons why our Trust & Safety team may take action on an account.

~Andrea
Upwork
cab04fcb
Community Member

His IDs are now verified. Thank you so much for your help

afba5fbc
Community Member

I am confused as to why my account has been suspended. Upwork emailed me that they noticed some irregular activity. I'm not sure what activity is irregular. 

I was doing some research on this issue. It seems like this can be a common issue for Upwork users. They wanted me to verify my identity so they can get me up and running again on Upwork. But I saw that many of the freelancers have complained that after Upwork receive pertinent information (ID and financial statements) Upwork still permanently suspend the account. Is it true? 

Hi Sky,

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. Please note that this Verification Process is working as designed because periodic checks ensure that freelancers' accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as we can and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

That is incorrect! We're not suspending freelancer's accounts for no reason. We may suspend accounts that violate our Terms of Service. You can read about our most important policies to learn which account activities and behaviors are off-limits.

I can see that the team has reached out with more information and instructions on how to resolve the issue via email. We highly suggest you coordinate with the team through this page or your email and they will surely assist you accordingly. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
shahbazelahi94
Community Member

Hello!
My client requested a milestone refund and upwork put my account in financial acount suspension.
I have submitted a ticket but still no reply after almost 24 hours. also I didn't recieve any email. 
Please guide me . 
Thanks & Regards
Shahabz Elahi.

Hi Shahbaz,

I'm sorry to learn that you got caught off guard about the status of your account. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Community Member

Hi ,the upwork  team doesnt reply to my ticket after first mail,ticket no:-39816490,https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/39816490

Hi Mohammad,

I've followed up with the relevant team and can confirm they've just responded to your ticket. Kindly follow up with them through your ticket for more information.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
6d2d567e
Community Member

Ticket no 39401842

Dear Upwork Support Center,

I am writing to you on behalf of my friend (faseeh shahzad ), whose account has been suspended permanently. he has already opened a ticket to resolve the issue, but unfortunately, he has not received any response from your team yet.

As her friend, I would like to request your kind assistance in resolving this matter as soon as possible. My friend has been a loyal user of Upwork for a long time, and she is very upset about the suspension of her account. he has always followed the rules and regulations of the platform and has never been involved in any fraudulent activities.

Therefore, I would kindly request you to review her case and reinstate her account as soon as possible. If there was any mistake or violation of the platform's policies, I am sure my friend would be more than willing to rectify it and ensure that it does not happen again in the future.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hi Shahzad,

We won't be able to discuss the status of another user's account for privacy and security reasons. However, rest assured that decisions to suspend a user's account are not taken lightly and without fully investigating for TOS violations. Please, refer to this help article for general reasons why our Trust & Safety team may take action on an account.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
45cb7ff2
Community Member

Greetings,

I have been an Upwork user for a year now, working as a freelancer with various HR teams to recruit other freelancers on a contract-to-hire basis. As I work with multiple companies, I require different Upwork accounts to accommodate my seniors who monitor my accounts. It's not feasible for me to use just one account for all my tasks.

However, my account was suspended by Upwork 13 days ago without prior notice, and I don't recall breaking any rules. I have submitted an appeal but have yet to receive a resolution, and this has caused a lot of stress as it's impacting my work.

I would like to request the Upwork team to resolve my issue as soon as possible, and if I have made any mistakes, please let me know so I can address them and ensure that I am not violating any rules or guidelines.

The email of the suspended Upwork account is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I look forward to hearing back from you and having this matter resolved promptly.

Best regards,

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths