🐈
» Forums » Support » Brand Identity Certification - Typography
Page options
alexand3r
Community Member

Brand Identity Certification - Typography

Hi, good to meet you all!
I'm Alexandra, I'm new to this forum. 

I'm reving up my Profile, updating with latest work (haven't added new samples in maybe 3 years? - yeah 😋).
I'm looking to set it up for Brand Identity Certification. 

I'm watching the webinar now and I find it unclear as to what would constitute as "made from scratch" Typography. Does that mean actually making the font? Or could choosing the font(s) count as "made from scratch"?

Thanks so much for reading this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Alexandra,

In general for this certification, the freelancer doesn't have to create their own typography to pass the test. However, there are other aspects of logo that need to be unique in that case. As an example, if a project has a logo that is made from 2 parts - icon and typography - the icon would need to be custom made while typography can be a regular font. If the whole logo is typography based without an icon, then the freelancer would need to make the font unique.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ArjayM

Hi Alexandra,

We truly appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I have escalated your query to the appropriate team for further review. We'll keep this thread updated whenever we receive a response from them. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Alexandra,

While Arjay is away we got some clarifications for your concern from the team. Typography can be just a Wordmark for Logo, not an entire font. In the case of additional requirements, it can be a whole font creation process. But usually, designers use calligraphic, handwritten, or font modification options for this type of description.

I hope it helps!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hey Valeria, thanks for checking in.

Regarding that Wordmark, if it's made with a font I didn't make and if the Workmark has no structural modifications (no modifications on letter shape), if I used the font as it was, is that a quality that could pass as viable for Brand Identity Certification?

Thanks for your patience.

Alexandra 

Alexandra,

In general for this certification, the freelancer doesn't have to create their own typography to pass the test. However, there are other aspects of logo that need to be unique in that case. As an example, if a project has a logo that is made from 2 parts - icon and typography - the icon would need to be custom made while typography can be a regular font. If the whole logo is typography based without an icon, then the freelancer would need to make the font unique.

~ Valeria
Upwork

This is what it's all about! This answer is perfect.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths