🐈
» Forums » Support » Client asked for unpaid work without hiring
Page options
d270c1cf
Community Member

Client asked for unpaid work without hiring

Hello,

I applied for an admin assistant role and the client reached out with a document containing an Internet research task for me to do. When I explained that I cannot offer unpaid samples, they said they were not assigned a budget.

Is this request against Upwork's TOS?

Can I do the task since it's minor internet research?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spectralua
Community Member

It is violation. Any works must be paid. Testing as well. It may be cheap but not a free.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
celgins
Community Member

Clients are allowed to ask to complete a skills assessment as a part of an interview process. However, the assessment cannot be part of the work the freelancer is being interviewed for; it should be solely to assess the freelancer's skills before hiring.

I would be cautious of a client--probably someone working within a company or organization--who immediately says they have no budget assigned. There is a good chance the client is "testing the waters" and will never be assigned a budget, and no paid work will ever commence.

Since you have already spent your Connects to apply, I would only do the Internet research task if it's really small, takes up very little time, and does not complete any part of the client's larger job offer.

d270c1cf
Community Member

The tasks are the same as what is expected from a freelancer after hiring, so I'm skeptical about completing the assessment.

spectralua
Community Member

It is violation. Any works must be paid. Testing as well. It may be cheap but not a free.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths