🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract cant be closed, because client got s...
Page options
wwwoman
Community Member

Contract Suspended

I started an hourly contract and I have worked for over 12 hours. Now I have been informed that the contract is suspended as Upwork is carrying out an investigation. So what will happen to the 12 hours worked?  Will I be paid?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi there,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

448 REPLIES 448
22016adb
Community Member

XXX does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored

I want to send finished work to my client but I get this message "client does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored".

How to finalize the project and get paid for the finished work if the client can't see my files?

Please help.

Thanks.

Hi Huligize,

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved.  

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. For more information, please check out this help article.

~ AJ
Upwork
dex_7
Community Member

Hi, I have open contract from last year, and I wanted to message that client so we can close it, but it says its suspended, I contacted him trough WhatsApp and he said that his acc was suspended without a reson, and he cant access it so we can close the contract.
What should I/we do ?

spectralua
Community Member

You can close it youself or leave as-is. It dont matter.

But if job wasn't paid then client must unsuspend profile to pay you.

dex_7
Community Member

Everything is payed. I just want to close it with a review, cuz its a really great client.

spectralua
Community Member

Sure, you can do it. But client won't leave feedback for you.

Hi Dex,

Please note that if a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns. We highly advice you to stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d3453587
Community Member

Hello Upwork, 

I started a contract today in the morning, and few hours when I was about to log my time in. Upwork has paused the contract. 

What's the issue, and when is Upwork going to restart the contract? 

Problem with client. Stop works asap. Wait until resolved. You cannot do anything here.

Thank you, but I think Upwork should also be able to contact the client and resolve whatever issue is needed to be resolved than just saying the freelancer should stop work. 

Hi Odey,

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm sorry to learn about the sudden change in your contract. If a contract is on hold, there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

Also, note that hours billed before the contract is paused are still eligible for Payment Protection.  We also recommend you stop working on the contract and contact your client to know when the agreement could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d3453587
Community Member

I have asked my client, but she has not responded. But I thought upwork was the one who paused the contract. So I think upwork should contact the client on my behalf. It's crazy to start working on a contract and all of a sudden the contract is paused. 

samiullah100
Community Member

So guys I have already been here so again not my problem someone else problem that I am going to share so **Edited for Community Guidelines** is or was a user on Upwork and he was suspended and his customer services account was also suspended this guy had some money in his agency account and now as his account was suspended he is asking to get his fund and he can not contact customer support so please anyone just help him and allow him to get his money withdrawn from his account or just withdraw from his account to the connected account 
just help him out people if you can

So you have created a new account once that account get suspended? Because your name and the email mentioned are seems  same.

Hi Sami Ullah,

We understand you are reaching out on behalf of someone else's account. However, we don't discuss another user's account with anyone due to privacy reasons. The best option would be for him/her to contact support by following the steps below without logging in to his account:

1. Select Get Support at the bottom of the Help Center page
  2. Type a question or topic and select "Send." The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. If we don't find the information you need after a few tries, you’ll see an option under the article selections to "Contact Support"
  4. Select "Contact Support" and follow the options provided

We'll be more than willing to review and assist him accordingly. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

I hnderstand the thing that you are saying but according to this person him upwork help and support has been suspended too he can not reach them if he tries to login he that a notifucaton comes saying that you donot have access so i donot know what hapened but this person is toasted but atleast he shiuld have privilage to the costumer support

3ffad032
Community Member

Hello, Upwork support.

My project was suspended and I can't track it anymore.

Moreover client is needing to chat outside again, I am posting here for getting help from Upwork support.

When I check the contract, it showed this.(I have attached screenshot)

So I said to resolve this problem to client, and he said me to chat outside. so I said I can't  due to upwork site terms and conditions.(In the previous chatting, he said outside payment, but I rejected and said again to stay on platform, he agreed)

You can check our chatting history.

Project link here.

https://www.upwork.com/nx/wm/workroom/33912330/overview.

So please let me know what I should do.. and this will affect to my account and my job success score?

As a freelancer of Upwork site, I am very concerning my account safety.

Hope you help me to resolve this problem and give me a clear answer about my concerning.

Best regards.

Leo.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Leo,

Thank you for your message. I checked the job you are referring to and noticed that the contract has been suspended due to an issue with your client's account. Suspended contracts will not negatively impact your profile or JSS unless the client leaves a poor rating. You have the option to end the contract from your end or request the client to close the contract. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Thanks for your reply, about the outside chatting suggestion by the client, how it will be processed?
I clearly said we need to stay here according to the terms and conditions of the website.
My account will be affected due to this client?
Just concerning my account safety, please let me know clearly... 
Thanks.

Leo, as Pradeep mentioned, suspended contracts will not negatively impact your profile.

If you're referring to communicating outside of Upwork, you're actually allowed to do that if you have a contract. You're not allowed to receive payment outside of Upwork, however. 

~Andrea
Upwork

1. What about cases where upwork was the one who ended the contract and have not said anything, and the client is no longer responding. 
  2. I accepted an offer on the 14 June and have worked for like 2 hours but did not log the time, by the time I was ready to log the contract Upwork has already paused the contract. And I have sent messages to the client but the client is not responding...

Please help me know if the contract will resume any time soon as the client is not responding to my messages again. 

Thanks 

3ffad032
Community Member

Hello, Andrea, I never did outside chatting and payment from client, I just suggested him to stay on upwork.

My question is 
1. Because I never agreed to chat and get payment outside of upwork, I am totally fine and my account is safe?
2. I have billed by tracking app.. roughly 230$, I will get payment though project suspended?
Kindly clear my these two questions, thanks.

I am still waiting answer for this.

fd1a3637
Community Member

From my research, I'm assuming that this is due to a payment problem on the client's end. I've been in constant communication with the client, but only when he has had tasks for me to do. Nothing about our communications have set off my scam alarm, so it's entire possible that this is resolved soon, but now I'm worried. This was my first time using the Time Tracker, and I didn't have a memo up for the first several hours. This is mostly do to me being in constant communication with the client and answering questions during the entire time I was working. If that sounds annoying, it was. 

It would be great if these "contract suspended" emails could be a little bit more informative so I don't have to spend all night worrying if $1000 vaporized overnight. This was not a great introduction to the platform.

Hi Garrett, 

I'm sorry to learn about this experience. You're correct!  If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. However, there are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

Also note that hours billed prior to the contract being paused are still eligible for Payment Protection.  We also recommend that you stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
fd1a3637
Community Member

Thank you Arjay. I'm 90% sure it's just a misunderstaning. If not, You have said here that I'm eligible for payment protection, so I'm sure you'll honor that if the time comes.

d3453587
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Upwork should be able to tell the freelancers when the contract will resume again as most times the client might become unresponsive just like mine is unresponsive at the moment. I have asked her when the contract will resume and she is not responding. 

In such case, what do I need to do? 

epsilonian1961
Community Member

Hello fellow freelancers,

I hope this post finds you all well. I would like to share a recent experience I had with Upwork regarding my contracts with a specific client and to seek advice or information from anyone who might have encountered a similar situation.

To provide some context, I have been working with a client on Upwork for a considerable period of time, and our professional relationship has been fruitful and mutually beneficial. However, recently, I was taken aback when I discovered that all of my contracts with this client had been put on hold by Upwork.

Curious and concerned, I reached out to my client to inquire about the situation. She promptly responded, explaining that there had been an issue with her credit card, which she have rectified through Upwork's payment system. According to her, the payment method has been updated, and she assured me that the issue has been resolved.

Has anyone here encountered a similar situation where contracts were put on hold by Upwork? If so, could you please share your experience and how long it took for your contracts to be reinstated? Any advice on how to navigate this situation effectively would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

izaaahxx
Community Member

Hi Upwork community, 

I'm here because I have a contract that has been suspended but the client already settled the bill. How long does it take to be reactivated again? 

Hi Ma. Cariza,

If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. However, there are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

We also recommend that you stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
73ecf44a
Community Member

How many days upwork will take to resume a suspended contract?

Up to infinite.

Hi Mehak,

Please note that if a contract is on hold, there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

You should stop working on the contract and contact your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
asajid
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

So here's the thing... I applied for a job, hourly, a new client, and the payment method was verified. I got an offer and as soon as I accepted it. I barely sent them a message to schedule some time to talk so that I could ask for details and then the contract was suspended by Upwork. Now I can see the job post, it's showing up normally with one hire on it as well. But I can't send them a message to tell them the contract has been suspended. I only got a notification in the Upwork platform, no email for this. I feel we should be getting emails as if I start working, and don't check my notifications, how am I supposed to find out that there's something wrong?

I have contacted support but no update yet from there. 

I wanted to ask you guys what I can do and how to notify the client. They probably don't even know what's wrong either since I never got an email so I'm guessing they didn't either. 

I had time scheduled to work on this project on Thursday (yesterday) and today as starting Monday I have other stuff, now I'm just waiting since yesterday... 

Help!

Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...

In my experience, when a contract is suspended it is usually to do with a payment issue and the contract gets resolved once payment is sorted.

maybe your client needs to update card details or something! Upwork will have notified them of this.

...yes, but not the freelancer, who also needed to know.

sheenapenaflor
Community Member

Hello UpWork Community,

I just had my contract paused by UpWork, and I communicated this to my client on slack as we have our production there. Now, I have a lot of important tasks due this weekend. My client says the suspension was not visible on their end. Now what should I do? Because they asked me to continue with my work while I wait for the suspension to be lifted-up which I can't do because even my Upwork Earnings that I should be withdrawing today has also been hold.

Hi Sheena,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
7e2a2148
Community Member

Hi, my contract with my client has paused and suspended by Upwork, the first week' s earnings is still in Review. Will my client pay for it? 

Hi Riane,

If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

Please be reminded that hours billed prior to the contract being paused are still eligible for Payment Protection.  We also recommend that you stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members