🐈
» Forums » Support » Could I get some assistance with reporting th...
Page options
itranslatethings
Community Member

Could I get some assistance with reporting this scam

I believe I've come across a scammer impersonating an actual translation company. I have alerted the real company, but I don't know when or if they will respond. Meanwhile, I'd like to report them to Upwork as well. Could a moderator get me some help, please? Maybe a support ticket or something like that?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Blerta,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this report. I'll be sure to escalate it to the correct team. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Scams and fake clients are rampant here. Thank you for reporting this one. I'm sure a moderator will help you and alert the team and make sure this client never gets to post again. Please read this to stay safe: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thank you for your advice Peter. I've actually never been scammed before, especially as a translator, so I was just really confused. There were a million red flags, but I explained them away because oftentimes I've had to work with clients who don't speak great English and conduct business in a way that might seem suspicious because they're not aware of standard procedures, due to the language and cultural barriers that are inherent to doing translation work.

The one red flag that I couldn't ignore was that they asked me to pay a fee so as to "ensure I wouldn't quit the project halfway through". Of course, they promised to give me that money back and much more. I'm just mad that I wouldn've not only been scammed for my money, but they also wanted me to waste my time translating some really large documents in a very short period of time.

In hindsight, it was really naive of me to not realize it sooner. I had 0 clue that there are scammers that try to scam freelancers. I have a lot to learn.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Blerta,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about this report. I'll be sure to escalate it to the correct team. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I've sent you a message Boran. Waiting for your response.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths