🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Can direct contracts leave feedback on Up...
Page options
badorl
Community Member

Direct contract

I tried to login into my account today to send someone who wanted to give me a job outside upwork a direct contract proposal, but to my disappointment I notice Direct contract is not functioning on my account again? What could be the cause?

Could it be that the upgrade/maintenance that upwork team want to carry out is the reason it's not functional, or the feature has been axed from my account.

Please I need a quick response.

Thanks
Regards
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Constantin,

I would like to clarify that the process you're referring to is working as designed. 

With Direct Contracts, you can create and send contract proposals to your clients that don't have Upwork accounts. Your client will be asked to create an Upwork account. Just like your other contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. When you've completed the work, you'll request payment from your client.

To learn more about how Direct contracts work and how to manage them, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

176 REPLIES 176
1997amin
Community Member

I've recently got a client outside the marketplace and I want to contract with him using Upwork Direct Contract. But my question is, I don't know if the client has an Upwork profile. 

Now If I send him an invitation using Upwork Direct Contract, is it a violation of Upwork TOS? What if the Client has an Upwork profile? Does it suspend my account?

Hi Md Aminul,

With Direct Contracts, you can create and send contract proposals to your clients who aren’t on Upwork. There is no ability/need for a client to create an Upwork account with Direct Contracts. Clients can access the contract via email from Upwork. With that said, sending clients invitations for a Direct Contract will not violate Upwork's TOS.

You can start by choosing the Direct Contracts icon in your navigation bar. From there, you can create and send contract offers, request payments, and cancel contracts, as well as view all your Direct Contract details.

If a client decides to create an Upwork client account, new contracts with freelancers will be subject to freelancer service fees and client payment processing fees. Feel free to check this help article to learn more about how Direct Contracts work.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1997amin
Community Member

What if the client provides me with an email that is already used in his Upwork Account?

Note: I don't know if he has an Upwork Account already.

Hi Md Aminul,

You cannot have a Direct contract with a client who already has an Upwork account. In that case, they will need to hire you from their Upwork account.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
2079670b
Community Member

Hi, can i get feedback from client if i send direct contract?? and is this will be visible as project in my profile?? please help?
thanks you so much.

Regards,
Rakibul islam

Hi Rakibul,

Since you and your client will only be using Upwork for payments, any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top Rated status). These contracts also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

~ AJ
Upwork
metropolisdesk
Community Member

Hi Community,

I've recently create contract via Direct Contract with a client outside of upwork.
I've read that I can invite this particular client to create an upwork account so I can have the contract viewed in my account with review. 
How much Fees is charged when using this option ? who will pay this fee and for how long ?

Thank you !

Hi Mohamed,

With Direct Contracts, you can create and send contract proposals to your clients that don't have Upwork accounts. (However, you can also invite them to sign up at any time as well.) This gives you access to features such as escrow services, dispute assistance, simplified contract management, and instant payments. 

When it comes to payment, you’ll be paid on Friday UTC once the hours are approved. There is no 5-day holding period on Direct Contracts payments. We won’t charge you any freelancer service fees, only a 3.4% processing fee on the total payment amount. Your client will also pay a processing fee.

To learn more about how Direct Contracts work and how to manage them, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arjay,

Thank you for your reply,

Does the processing fees of 3.4% can still be applied for all futures contracts when I choose to invite my client to create an account ?

I found this table which explain the difference between direct contract and invite your own client in an upwork community's form from 2021 !
Does this program still active with all those conditions because I am interested in bringing my own client to upwork platform?

Bring Your Own Client

Direct Contract
Client Fee: 3%Client Fee: 0%
Freelancer Fee: 0%Freelancer Fee: 3.4%
Feedback on profile: YesFeedback on profile: No
Effect on JSS: YesEffect on JSS: No
Contract visible on profile: YesContract visible on profile: No
Hourly paid after work doneHourly charged in advance
Link needed to get 0%No link needed

Kind Regards,

Mohamed

Hi, 
Kindly, is there any update regarding my request ?

Thank you

Hi Mohamed,

I'm sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. The Direct Contract section is correct and the process is active. 

On the other hand, please note that Upwork’s “Bring Your Own” program is now Any Hire. If you have a business relationship with a client outside of Upwork and they want to use our platform to hire and pay you, they may invite you to work on an Any Hire contract.

Any Hire is a part of Upwork that is just for clients and freelancers who met outside of Upwork. You won’t be charged any Upwork freelancer fees for your work on Any Hire contracts. Your payment method information is what we use to release payment to you on behalf of your client.

You can learn more about accepting contracts on Any Hire by reviewing this help article. I hope this helps.

**Edited to Update Information**

I sincerely apologize for the confusion my previous response caused. Please note that Top Rated freelancers who bring their offline clients to Upwork are eligible for 0% on fees with the new clients they bring. That's 0% on all contracts you have with that client, forever. Even if you lose your Top Rated status, you’ll continue to pay a 0% fee on these contracts.

If you have not received a personal invitation link, please email BringYourClient@upwork.com. I hope this clarifies. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank You

Hi Mohamed,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
shuneedmughal
Community Member

Hi, I have invited my client using direct contact (Invite client) option, so now that my client is on upwork, he should be able to give me feedback, right?

Hi Shuneed,

I'm afraid that sharing feedback is not an option with Direct Contracts. You can learn more here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

But I just checked and it is showing an option for review on the order, why is that?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

shuneedmughal_1-1683438437325.png

Hi Shuneed,

Thank you for sharing the screenshot. It looks like you are referring to Mid-Contract feedback. You have the option to ask for feedback on ongoing contracts with earnings after 30 days from its inception. The feedback will be visible on your profile, but it will not affect your job success score.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
realeric
Community Member

Hi, I just finished project with direct contract and the client want to write a positive review. Is it possible to do that, since the project is not listed in my jobs list?

Eric

Meaning you've completed a project outside of UpWork? In that case you can request the client for a testimonial, scroll down on your profile page and you will see a testimonial section, click and it will walk you through the process.

hi, yes. but he and me are not sure how, since the project is not listed in my job cause its direct contract, only payment that  proceed through upwork

c3162eec
Community Member

When I try to send a direct contract, this text appears: 'The user with specified e-mail is already associated with an Upwork account'

What can I do?

Hi Apolo,

Direct Contracts let you manage contracts in the Upwork platform with your clients who don’t have an Upwork account. However, it looks like the client you're trying to send the contract proposals to already has an account with Upwork.

Don't worry! I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket to give your case the attention it deserves. One of our agents will be in touch with you here soon to assist.

~ Arjay
Upwork
writerate
Community Member

When I press the "paper airplane" button, it goes to the direct contract page.

But when I click the "create contract" button, it doesn't do anything. 

I've tried it through mobile as well, and nothing happens.

Please let me know how to fix this.

Thanks,

Yasir

Hi Syed,

I am sorry to learn about the trouble while initiating a Direct contract. I tried but wasn’t able to replicate the issue you’re describing. Could you please try using a different browser or the incognito mode of your current browser? You may also try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies. Feel free to message us if the issue persists. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
e8d442fe
Community Member

@ Andrea G 

My client is complaining of not receiving code after requesting code for Direct Contract payment 

Hi Grace,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
619d2bbb
Community Member

Hello guys, hope you're doing fine.

Me and my client want to use Upwork Direct Contract. I've sent him a direct upwork contract but he was asking about including the attachment of his website full requirements list that I'm building for him. How do I do that?

He's skeptical and wants Upwork to know about all of his requirements, which you can't mention on Upwork's milestone details because they are a lot and extensive features.

Hi Kloner,

I converted your question into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here.

~ Alyssa
e063fbc9
Community Member

the contract is a fixed price contract

Hi Muhammad,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
bcb624ae
Community Member

I'm very confused about the contracting process. There were a lot of additional details I wanted to include as a client with a prospective writer, but I'm not sure if that's an option. How does that work? Attached is an example of what I'm wanting to do. 

Hi Ryan,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
bcb624ae
Community Member

no one ever reached out to me that I'm aware of

Hi Ryan,

I checked your account and I can confirm that one of our team members did reach out to you via a support ticket here. You can also view and respond to support tickets from the notification sent to your registered email address.

- Pradeep

Upwork
c72c25f3
Community Member

My client paid for funds but I didn't get any "get paid" or anything else in my jobs/contracts. Next to my direct contract there is a label "Direct contract waiting to be accapted" and nonthing else.

Hi Vladimir-Saša,

I can see that you've raised a ticket about your Direct Contract concerns. Please allow our team time and you will get an update on your ticket on this page once your report is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
imabir
Community Member

I have a client whom I want to bring on Upwork. I also want the payment to go through Upwork. I have worked with him few hours and now want to log these hours on Upwork so if I manually log these hours will it show on my profile as hours I have worked?

Currently my logged hours are 351 hours, if I log my new client's hour, for example 4 hours will it show as 355 hours?

Hi Abir,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Since you and your client will only be using Upwork for payments, any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top Rated status). These contracts also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

~ AJ
Upwork
4c4d4212
Community Member

Hi, please let me know if I want to increase my earnings and reviews on Upwork as I'm starting a new Upwork profile so should I go with getting Direct contract clients? because upwork just charges you 3.4% fee for that but will it show any review or earning on my profile when I complete that job? if not, so what other way there can be to get review and earning increase by getting an outside client on to Upwork?

Hi Sana,

Since you and your client will only be using Upwork for payments, any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top Rated status). These contracts also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

I noticed you don't have a photo of yourself in your profile. Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your profile photo needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. Please check this article for more information on how to update your profile photo.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths