🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fake clients everywhere
Page options
530c317f
Community Member

Fake clients everywhere

Hello everyone. Avoid this type of client who sends direct offers. I've been dealing with this type of client for a while. First, he sent me a direct offer and gave me a Facebook page and website, from which I can clearly understand that he doesn't own the page or website. Then he asked me about my qualifications, and I explained to him my past work and qualities. He wants my email address to send some data. I asked him what type of data content you want to send me; please screenshot here (on Upwork). Now he's not online, but I believe he will ask for my email address again to send his hacking file. If you get this type of proposal or offer, avoid it ASAP. Upwork's authority should ban this type of client.

8 REPLIES 8
77e8f37b
Community Member

😦😦😦thx! that's sooo horrible

ArjayM

Hi Md,

I'm sorry to learn about this disappointing experience and we truly appreciate you sharing this along with the helpful suggestions/advice. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts, and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.

Your reports are huge contributions for us to address these kind of activities. We encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here. I assure you that we'll continue sharing your feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about the team's initiatives. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
530c317f
Community Member

Hello Arjay,
I appreciate you looking into this issue. I haven't declined his offer because I want to make sure that declining the offer won't negatively affect my profile. Could you please suggest what we should do when we receive direct offers from scammers? I have reported a couple of scam posts.
Thank you

Hi Md,

We understand you want to be cautious and make sure declining this offer will not affect your profile negatively. I'd like to assure you that this action does not impact your profile. You may report any suspicious user activity by following a few simple steps listed here.

~ AJ
Upwork
phunt555
Community Member

It has been a full decade, and nothing has worked. Right now your biggest problem is with automated posts. There's a ton of automated spam clogging up everything from both clients and freelancers. People are fed up with it. Clients and freelancers are leaving the site. That does not take a decade to solve. Use captchas and spam filters. 90% of these clients and freelancers are copying and pasting the same thing over and over again.  That's something that most sites don't allow. If Upwork is allowing it, they have a reason and considering how much trouble it's caused in the past, especially with all of the complaints and the announcements from corporate, it's pretty obvious that Upwork has decided to allow these things rather than do something to stop them. There's no other alternative. There are a ton of easy fixes, stuff nearly every other site uses, and you're ignoring them. 

simy-choudhary
Community Member

I've come across this issue recently - I'll make sure to report where appropriate, to keep our community safe!

blazevic_ivan
Community Member

Also, I don't get it - what is the purpose of mass posting fake job ads? What do the people posting these ads get out of those ads?

They're trying to hack your PC. This is the main purpose. If you give them your email they'll send you a phishing file. If you install it, boom your pc will be hacked.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members