🐈
» Forums » Support » Freelancer didnt finish work
Page options
163aa834
Community Member

Freelancer didnt finish work

This was my first project with upwork. I posted a Job in June and the freelancer promised to have it completed with few weeks. With few weeks he took all the money and work wasn't don3. He started communicating via whatsapp asking h3 doesn't understand this and that. After multiple calls he still hasn't finished work. I followed with him every other day for 6 months straight. No work done only run around. I would like to involve a lawyer. I have been speaking to on3. What other options do I have? It's not about the money it's th3 stress that I have gone through and upwork won't do jack **bleep** because it's past 30 days. Yes because the dude told me he was finishing the work how the h3ll would I know hrs lying. The work is on pause why can't they help. It's not done so why wouldn't upwrok support. Also random freelancers have reached me on LinkedIn to help with my site. Who is giving these random ppl my personal info? This site is a scam and scares the living crap out of me. 

5 REPLIES 5
1802b00d
Community Member

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that, it's sad to see people doing this, but may i ask why did you agree to finish the payment before he finishes the work? I wouldn't pay the amount if didn't end the job, or i would make milestones and pay him for each task (it makes it easier for you if you decide to stop with him and move with another freelancer where you can share the finished tasks).

Also, i always prefer to keep the talk over upwork chat instead of other apps because if you report an issue, they might check the chat on upwork.  You might have a bad experience with this person, but when i feel someone is saying multiple times that he will finish the job and he doesn't, I would just stop and move to another person without hesitating (i would lose some time because of him but it's better than losing more time and work).

Did you also try to report the problem to the Upwork support team? I hope your issue gets resolved. 

re: "Did you also try to report the problem to the Upwork support team?"

Alaa:

I think you are sincere. I think you are well-meaning.

But I disagre with this part of your advice.

All clients should strive to NOT report problems to Upwork's support team. Clients will experience far more success and satisfaction when they learn WHICH BUTTONS TO CLICK on their own, rather than having to wait on someone else or rely on someone else.

As a client, I never need to contact Upwork Customer Support. Because I know where the buttons are. Every client should simply learn where the buttons are.

Dear Preston,

Yeah i absolutely agree with you , this is what an experienced client would say. I am pretty sure when she reads your previous comment she will also agree and understand how to deal with these situations later.

What i was trying to say is mostly regarding her current issue with this particular freelancer. Also, i was trying to inform her about the story of "Whatsapp" chat because a lot of scammers try to use another chatting apps in order to steal money.

You are correct, normally a client would never need to contact the support if he prevents the problem from occuring. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Freelancer didn't finish work"

That happens.

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork.

Most have been great. Some have not been great.

A few never finished a task. A few never started.

A big part of the reason I am a successful client, and always get what I need, is that I know these things.

And I plan for these things as part of my hiring .

And now YOU know these things.

If you want to achieve the same sort of success that I have achieved, you can learn how to be a successful client.

Sara:
Overall, I think your biggest problem as a client is that you failed to understand that you can FIRE any freelancer you hire.

You can fire any freelancer, at any time, for any reason. Or for no reason at all.

That is literally one of the main reasons any client hires freelancers.

It's different from hiring full-time employees (or even part-time employees).

Upwork allows you IMMENSE freedom when it comes to FIRING freelancers.

But you completely failed to use your freedom.

I'm very sorry that you didn't realize how much power and freedom you have while using this platform.

You yourself may have decied to stop using Upwork. That's fine. But if you wonder why clients such as myself continue to use the platform, feel free to ask more questions.

And for any other clients or prospective clients reading this thread:
The problems that the original poster faced were mainly caused by her being unaware of her power to fire underperforming freelancers. She should have hired multiple freelancers to work on the project, compared the work that they did, and continued working only with the freelancers whose work she valued the most.

ArjayM

Hi Sara,

I'm sorry to learn about this disappointing experience you had with a freelancer. I can see that you're already communicating with the team and have raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths