🐈
» Forums » Support » Google Meet Interview
Page options
vjahtimtiaz1
Community Member

Google Meet Interview

I submitted a proposal on Upwork, and the client who's interested reached out to me. They've expressed that they'd like to conduct the interview through Google Meet, rather than using Upwork's built-in meeting option. While I've suggested the Upwork option, the client insists it won't sync with their company system. Thus, they've provided a Google Meet link and want me to schedule the interview from there.

I'm a bit concerned about stepping outside of Upwork for the initial interview. Has anyone encountered a similar situation? I'd greatly appreciate your advice and thoughts on how best to handle this.

Thank you in advance for your help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kelly_e
Community Member

It is AGAINST Upwork's Terms of Service to connect IN ANY WAY off the site, before a contract is in place. Anyone who says you must, is inviting you to get permanently banned from Upwork.

Now if you already have a contract—they're still lying that they're unable to use Upwork to do a Zoom call, and whether you want to work with someone like that is up to you. But if you are not already working for them—with a CONTRACT IN PLACE, not a promise of a contract tomorrow—don't do it.

This is what I write, every time someone asks for my email, a different way of meeting, a form off-site that will involve contact info, etc.:

>>Without a contract in place, it's against Upwork's Terms of Service to connect outside of the platform. Because I'm here for the long haul that means a lot to me.

The honest ones who didn't know the policy, are happy to continue in Upwork messages or through Upwork's Zoom feature.

The dishonest ones ghost me immediately. It's a helpful tool for sorting out bad eggs.

And remember you can report a conversation from directly in messages if an employer is asking you to violate the TOS—if they're doing it to you, they're doing it to others as well, and somebody will fall for it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GlicelleP

Hi Vjaht,

When you agree to use Upwork you also agree to our Terms of Service (TOS). These terms outline that if you meet a client or freelancer on Upwork we expect you will keep that relationship on Upwork, including making and receiving payments. You may ask your client to contact us if they're experiencing issues setting up a meeting within the platform. You may read more about it here

~ Grace
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's against the terms of service for you to use anything other than the Upwork system before you have a contract in place. The Upwork Zoom feature works perfectly well, so if the client is insisting, they're probably a scammer and you should report them.

kelly_e
Community Member

It is AGAINST Upwork's Terms of Service to connect IN ANY WAY off the site, before a contract is in place. Anyone who says you must, is inviting you to get permanently banned from Upwork.

Now if you already have a contract—they're still lying that they're unable to use Upwork to do a Zoom call, and whether you want to work with someone like that is up to you. But if you are not already working for them—with a CONTRACT IN PLACE, not a promise of a contract tomorrow—don't do it.

This is what I write, every time someone asks for my email, a different way of meeting, a form off-site that will involve contact info, etc.:

>>Without a contract in place, it's against Upwork's Terms of Service to connect outside of the platform. Because I'm here for the long haul that means a lot to me.

The honest ones who didn't know the policy, are happy to continue in Upwork messages or through Upwork's Zoom feature.

The dishonest ones ghost me immediately. It's a helpful tool for sorting out bad eggs.

And remember you can report a conversation from directly in messages if an employer is asking you to violate the TOS—if they're doing it to you, they're doing it to others as well, and somebody will fall for it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths