🐈
» Forums » Support » Hackers continuously enhance their techniques...
Page options
sadia265
Community Member

Hackers continuously enhance their techniques.

Dear Upwork Community,

I recently had a concerning encounter on the platform that I believe warrants urgent attention. I received an invitation from an individual, who turned out to be a hacker with malicious intent. The individual sent me a link and insisted that I install a file from it. I want to emphasize that I promptly declined and terminated the conversation upon realizing the nature of their request. However, this incident highlights a significant security flaw in the Upwork ecosystem that requires immediate resolution.

8 REPLIES 8
williamtcooper
Community Member

Sadia,

NEVER click any links until it's a client and always report by Flagging the Job post.

Flagged this job post a couple of times but Upwork didn't take any action. 

Looks like they are responding above now.

Hi Sadia,

Thank you for reaching out.

I will be contacting you in a private message to further discuss this. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for choosing Upwork.

~ Johnabi

Hi Sadia,

Just following up to let you know that I have forwarded your concern to our support team for further review of the job post. They will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. You can look out for a response here.

I hope that helps. Thank you for choosing Upwork.

~ Johnabi
7ecaa442

Hi Sadia,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please note that our trust and safety team takes such reports seriously. Rest assured, we do our best to ensure your security. We understand that at times, bad actors may find a way through but we are continuously working to reduce this. In the meantime, please be careful with malicious links. The link may appear legitimate, but check these details.

• The true URL could be hidden. A link's text may look like a URL, while the link itself leads somewhere else. Hover over the link to see where it goes.
  • A link shortening service might be used to hide the link’s details.
  • The URL may contain misleading typos, such as upvvork.com instead of upwork.com. Read it carefully.

You may read more about this here>Staying Safe On Upwork. Be free to reach out anytime in case you see any suspicious activity. You may also report any suspicious activity on the Platform by following the instructions here.

Thank you for choosing Upwork.

~ Johnabi

Hello! Thanks for your response. I can see no action has been taken against this hacker. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ArjayM

Hi Sadia,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts, and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety. We assure you that we'll continue sharing your feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about the team's initiatives.

As William mentioned, we would appreciate your cooperation by letting us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here. Additionally, you may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths