🐈
» Forums » Support » How to download the PDF of W-8BEN form
Page options
1c1a308e
Community Member

How to download the PDF of W-8BEN form

Greetings,

I have recently accepted a job offer from a company and they requested a pay slip and a W2 from my previous company for background screening purposes. My last work experience is a contract on Upwork. I submitted my certificate of earnings from Upwork, but they are also asking for a W2. Is it possible to get a pdf of W-8BEN so that I could send it to my hiring company? 

4 REPLIES 4
759e32fa

Hi Farah,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you so much

96ad2438
Community Member

To download the W-8BEN form, you can follow these steps:

1. Visit the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) website: Go to the official IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/.

2. Search for the form: Use the search bar on the IRS website to look for the W-8BEN form. You can simply type "W-8BEN" in the search box.

3. Select the correct form: From the search results, find and select the W-8BEN form. It's important to make sure you are downloading the most current version of the form.

4. Download the form: Click on the link to the W-8BEN form to download it. Usually, it will be in PDF format.

5. Save the form: Once the form is downloaded, save it to your computer or device so that you can fill it out and print it as needed.

Remember that the W-8BEN form is used by foreign individuals to certify their non-U.S. status for tax withholding purposes in the United States. Make sure to read the instructions carefully and complete the form accurately to comply with IRS regulations. If you have any doubts or specific questions regarding your tax situation, it's advisable to consult with a tax professional or attorney.

It's important to note that a W-8BEN form is not the appropriate document to provide in this situation. The W-8BEN form is used by foreign individuals to certify their non-U.S. status for tax withholding purposes in the United States. It is typically not related to providing proof of employment or income from a previous job.

For employment and income verification purposes, you should provide your pay slip or earnings statement from your previous work on Upwork, along with any other relevant documentation that shows your income, such as bank statements or tax returns if applicable. Upwork usually provides earnings statements and transaction history that you can use for this purpose.

If your hiring company is specifically requesting a W-2 form, you should explain that as a contract worker on Upwork, you do not receive W-2 forms. Instead, you are considered a self-employed individual or an independent contractor, and your income is reported differently. You can provide the documentation mentioned above to verify your income and employment history.

If there are any concerns or confusion regarding the documentation you need to provide for background screening, it's advisable to communicate directly with your hiring company's HR or screening department to clarify their requirements and discuss suitable alternatives to meet their needs.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths