🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: I feel I have been wronged by a freelance...
Page options
4d863219
Community Member

I feel I have been wronged by a freelancer. Twice!

Hello, I hired a freelancer o june 9, on one project with a fixed price of $200 for a logo. I did pay, then she tricked me/rushed me into submitting my final approval of the project after only her first logo concept submission, like if she had completed the work, saying "Hi, I just requested payment, but it's just because I need to do it now because of how the project and everything on Upwork works. Actually, payment will be done only after completing the project" which was not true, because that was the final passage, but not being confident with how the platform worked, I believed her.

Anyway I gave clear instructions to the designer in regard to the subject and the style, even bringing to comparison 2 other works she supposedly did, asking "I want this style".

She started sending me logo concepts which were anything but what I had asked for, once, twice, three times... and despite me keeping sending visual cues, she did not deliver the unique and memorable logo I had paid for.

At this point, I told her I was quite disappointed because she seemed unable to listen to my words. Quoting just a piece of my letter

"I told you I would like it to be a bit more stylized, not as blunt life-like as in your draft.
I added a sketch, but I couldn't do more than that given the starting point, it was just to give you an idea. You replied with exactly yet another blunt life-like image, telling me "you can just tell what you want changed"
Yet again I asked you to try and make it more stylized... nothing.

Stylized means: depicted or treated in a mannered and non-realistic style.

So it is not me who is not telling, you seem to not listen."

At which point, what does the sly freelancer does? She tells me, quote "The thing is I would be really happy to create a perfect logo for you and I totally understand that you are unhappy, but I had some thing planned and I really wasn't planning on working about June 15-30"

Not wanting to pressure her, I even agreed like a fool, because you know what happens after that much time, I CAN'T GIVE HER FEEDBACK ANYMORE BECAUSE 14 DAYS HAVE PASSED ALREADY.

Then June 30th arrived, nothing. July 1st arrived, nothing. July 2nd arrived, nothing.

On July 3rd I ask her if there were any news whatsoever and that I was expecting to hear from her again, Upwork is asking me for feedback (it was about the platform, but I wrongly thought it was about her job).

To which she replied, quote

"Are you going to threaten me like this?"

"Ok, I was really planning to contionue working and create the logo you would be happy with, but you just crossed the line. I am sending you the files of logo I created yesterday to see if that's more like what you want or not. Kinda starting point to do everything as you want. No more revisions would be provided. I already did what you paid for and additional unpaid work.That's it,I won't take it anymore."

She sends me "exactly" the copy of an image "I" had sent her as a reference, only slightly modified.

She blocks me on Messages

She leaves me NEGATIVE FEEDBACK as if I made her insane requests and she doesn't recomend working with me!

Oh wait, I have been wronged more than twice!

And I will need to spend other money to have my logo redone, because I don't want to use her **bleep** logo! And I can't find a way to either flag her unprofessional behaviour, or get my money back. Please help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
luqman_mak
Community Member

Your freelancer was a **Edited for Community Guidelines**

In the messages, you can report any threatening, abusive, misrepresentation of skills, etc by hovering over the message and clicking the three horizontal dots that appear on the right side of the message. 
Pehaps next time you can set milestones and inlcude an initial draft one to allow you to assess the freelancers understanding. With milestones, you break down the work into smaller chunks which require sumission and approval.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

You are not obligated to use the work this freelancer submitted as your logo.

A logo is important!

Many clients hire multiple freelancers to create logos for them. Then the clients use the submission they like the most, and they throw away the rest.

In fact, that's what I'll do. I am not expecting to find a solution with her. Only disappointed I lost money and much, much time.

And a bit disillusioned with humanity, because there, I got all the patience in the world, and I got tricked and treated like if I had persecuted her.

You "lost" $200?

Or maybe you invested $200 in your logo, and you will invest more. And before too long, you will have a logo you live which be an important part of your company's image for years to come.

yes, I can see it like that.

luqman_mak
Community Member

Your freelancer was a **Edited for Community Guidelines**

In the messages, you can report any threatening, abusive, misrepresentation of skills, etc by hovering over the message and clicking the three horizontal dots that appear on the right side of the message. 
Pehaps next time you can set milestones and inlcude an initial draft one to allow you to assess the freelancers understanding. With milestones, you break down the work into smaller chunks which require sumission and approval.

Very useful advice. Thank you!

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jun 25
Crafting Your Compelling Story
Talent Toolbox English
Featured Topics
Learning Paths