🐈
» Forums » Support » I got scammed on a $5 job that got my account...
Page options
bfeb9e76
Community Member

I got scammed on a $5 job that got my account suspended!

I did a VO job for a lady for $5 a few weeks ago. She decided to reverse the charge and upwork froze my account till they got their $5 back., They took the money and restored my account, but the next day I had a red flag saying that my ability to withdraw the money I've made was restricted. For some reason the security team has decided to "investigate" me as if I've violated TOS or something. Now the security person won't give me any update or reasoning as to why and how long I will be suspended. Upwork does not look out for us freelancers😭

9 REPLIES 9
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Leah, 

I'm sorry to learn about your account. I can see that the team is currently assisting you with your open ticket. Tickets are addressed by the order they are received, and posting a reply on the ticket puts it back at the end of the queue. It would be best to update the ticket if you have additional information to share. I understand that this hold on your account is frustrating. If you don't hear back within 48 to 72 hours, you can follow up on the ticket or post here, and our team will assist you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
bfeb9e76
Community Member

Hi Avery, My account is still locked unfortunately and I have heard no updates as to the status of this investigation. Do these normally take longer than a week? I have a large family and the money that I am making here helps us immensely. It's devastating thst this has happened honestly.

Hi Leah,

Thank you for following up. I shared your concern with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
2749e931
Community Member

I think the bigger question is why you're doing a VO for $5? Any client who is expecting that price point is not going to respect you, as has been demonstrated here, and this drags everyone down too. People offering $5 for a VO service need to be laughed off of this platform IMO. You deserve better than that. We all do.

I agree, I was just trying to get my first job but wow I regret it so much. I'm terrfied it's going to happen again. What protections do freelancers have on fixed price jobs? My account has been frozen for almost a week now and I have no clue how much longer it will be. It's horrible 😞 

bfeb9e76
Community Member

I posted this a week ago and I am still in the same postition with my financial account suspended. I just cannot understand WHY. No one from Upwork has ever told me why I am being investigated, what I did wrong, or even how long it will take. How can you be looking at my account for 9 days without it being clear that I've done nothing wrong?? Please help me! Do you need more proof that I simply did the VO job and she accepted it? I don't know what else there is to this situation. 😩😭

Hi Leah,

I’m sorry but I won’t be able to assist you here further. Your ticket is assigned to the correct team, and they should be able to help you with your concern. I would recommend adding these to the same ticket thread so that the team has the correct information to assist you more efficiently. Please don’t hesitate to update the same ticket thread if you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork

Another team member said that every time I update the original ticket it gets pushed back to the end of the queue. Is that correct? I would rather not do that.

56e88239
Community Member

I agree upwork prioritises clients

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths