🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity (ID) Verification
Page options
hassium-inks
Community Member

Identity (ID) Verification

Hello, I'm sat here losing my mind actually.

So I had issues with my Payoneer card and my account was disabled. But I did not remove it from my Upwork. Got a message 8 days ago from Upwork that I needed to reverify. I sent my digital NATIONAL ID on my phone to verify, it was rejected three times even though I explained several times. Used Friday and Monday to process a new one at the local government building in my city and got the official national identity slip I used to verify my account in the first place. It just got rejected again. WAS told it's a photocopy that a colored one is needed. On my life I have never seen a colored version of the official national identity slip in my country. Only colored thing I know we have is the identity card itself and that takes  months to process. HELP 

How will I get color when that's the official thing here and I actually also used it to register on Every single platform I've ever needed to reg my national identity on?

Dying...

Edit: The slip is issued by the NATIONAL IDENTITY MANAGEMENT COMMISSION (NIMC), Nigeria.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi Olatunde,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

You may be asked to complete a visual verification and provide a valid government-issued ID. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria.

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

655 REPLIES 655
903d6cc3
Community Member

Hi Upwork,

I have submitted my ID card 1 days ago but it is not approved yet. I also completed the Visual verification process. It shows it takes a few minutes to approve but one hour has passed. It isn't approved. Please approve my ID and Visual verification.

Regards,
Mohammad Mizanur Rahman
fce64da3
Community Member

Upwork sent me the link to upload my ID documents, I uploaded the documents but it's been 2 weeks my identity is not verified . What is the problem, please?

be patient, and try to contact the support

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it doesn't look like you are required to complete any verification process at the moment. Only earning freelancers are eligible/required to earn the “Identity Verified” badge. If you become eligible/required, we will notify you when you log into your Upwork account.

~ Nikola
Upwork
5e4482f0
Community Member

Hi,

May I request for assistance to have my identity in upwork verified as it has been almost a full week and no info if my documents are sufficient or not and I would like to start working as soon as possible. And I would like to just know my situation.

Thank you

e4d9de71
Community Member

Hi,

I'm having a frustrating issue with Upwork. I'm based in the UK and tried to apply for two jobs in the UK and both times I got an error, the error says I need to verify my identity. In the app I don't have verify as an option in settings.  I'm a bit fed up with typing out applications and losing them because of this issue. When I've looked up the issue it looks as though the verification step is required for people in the US applying for jobs in the UK. I'm in the UK.

Can you provide help so I can start using Upwork.

Thanks, Jo

Hi Jo,

I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. It looks like the team has responded with more information and instructions on how to resolve the issue. You can access and review your support tickets here or in your email. We highly suggest you coordinate with the team if you still need further assistance and they will surely look into it accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
robert997
Community Member

So I uploaded my passport to upwork for location verification and I am getting a message back: "we could not approve the image provided as the document type submitted is unacceptable."

Can anyone help me with this? 

Hi Robert,

I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork
e53026f1
Community Member

I have uploaded my ID today for verification, and verification is taking too long. I have a contract going on, please support me closing my issue

Hi Muhammad,

We certainly understand that you really want this resolved immediately. I reached out directly to the team handling your ID review and we're pleased to inform you that your ID is now verified. You should be seeing the ID Verified badge on your profile as confirmation. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
d5a46b70
Community Member

Dear Nikola,

Happy seeing you with the thread. Could you please take steps for me so that I can get my ID verification mail. Note that I have already purchased freelancer plus membership plan. 

Thank you for your cooperation and response.

Nazrul

Hi MD Nazrul,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to users of Upwork. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
b7d82bf4
Community Member

Hey fellow upworkers. 

I am new on Upwork. I have a question about Id verification.

Is it possible to ask the ID verification process?

It can affect my profile badly if I do have not ID verification badge. Am I right? 

Please help me out! 

Thanks, 

Zoltan

--

"Stay hungry, stay foolish"

Hi Zoltan,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to users of Upwork. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
stratetgygirl
Community Member

Hello, I can't seem to find someone to help me. I've been trying to verify my identity for days now. I've uploaded my ID and tax document, and still nothing. 

I'm on the verge of losing access to new contracts. 

I don't know how to get help other than through this forum. 

Please help.

Hello, 

I've been trying to verify my ID for days now. I cannot for the life of me understand what I'm doing wrong. And I cannot find an actual human being, an Upwork representative, or anyone to help me.

I've already submitted a request, which showed up as 'solved' when it's not. 

I have an open contract with a client and set in milestones. I don't want to lose it because of technicality or glitch. 

Please, can an Upwork representative help?

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty verifying your identity. It can be a frustrating process. Have you contacted the customer service team of the company you're trying to verify your identity with? If not, I suggest doing that. They should be able to provide you with assistance. You can also reach out to their support team through their website, social media, or email. Additionally, you can look for customer service phone numbers online and give them a call. I hope this helps!

Hi Electra,

I checked and it looks like our team has shared some advice with you about your documents in this support ticket. Please feel free to follow up if you need any further assistance.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello Adrea, 

Thank you for your prompt reply. Will do.

Electra

bulanyk_olesia
Community Member

I don't have ID verification section. Can you assist me with this, please?

Hi Olesia,

I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork
2e0d44a4
Community Member

Hello

I am a new Upwork user.
not long ago my account has been suspended, because of the ID verification (even though a week ago I've got my first job and got paid for it), and the problem is I can never verifiy my Identity because simply I don't have at least one of the required documents, but I have what's called "Service card" which is equal to govermntal ID card here in Jordan for the Syrians, and I tried to share it with Upwork but it got unaccepted, and I tried to contact Upwork support to tell them more on the problem but I get the feeling that they don't even understand the problem and my special situation. there must be a solution for my sitaution or else Uppwork has not been designed for al people.

please I need to get my account back ASAP, or at least just to be able to get the money I've made from my first job here on Upwork.

Hi Sham,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concern with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
2e0d44a4
Community Member

Alright Thank you.

Now that my ID has been verified the only problem left is my profile photo, but when I go to Settings-> My Profile I get this: "This profile is no longer available" and hence I can't change my profile photo.

please tell me id there is any other way.

Hi Sham, 

Thank you for following up. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
b5123269
Community Member

I have uploaded my government ID twice but after about 8-10 hours it displays this message "We're unable to process your ID at this time. You may be able to add your ID again later." Under "ID document verification", why so?

But under "Visual Verification" it says "We are reviewing your selfie which typically takes a few minutes, but could take up to 1 business day."

Can anyone help me on how to complete this verification?

38da0cf0
Community Member

Hi Upwork Community,

I'm having trouble with verifying my ID on Upwork. I applied yesterday, but when I checked today, it said that they were unable to process my ID and that my selfie was under review. I'm not sure what the problem is, and I would appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any suggestions, please let me know. I really need to verify my identity to start working on Upwork.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards, Hamza

Hi Mr,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork

HI Annie Jane B

I received this message from Upwork Support 
"We have reviewed your submission for ID verification. Unfortunately, we were unable to approve the ID because the name did not match your Upwork account details.

I would like to take a moment to clarify our profile guidelines regarding the selection of profile names. While you are free to choose any preferred name, please note that it must not contain any titles or honorifics, such as Mr. or Mrs."

But the problem is that My name is Hamza, and my father's name is Muhammad Ali. However, I do not have a last name, and I am unable to proceed with the contact information update process as the last name field is mandatory.

I would appreciate your guidance on how I can update my contact information on Upwork without a last name.

Thanks
Best regards Hamza

Hi Hamza,

Thank you for reaching out to us. In case you have a single name, please enter your only name in both the First Name and Last Name fields. Additionally, I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
56a3c407
Community Member

I am trying to submit document for my verification process and upwork is asking me to upload front and back side of ID card but the form is restricting me to upload only one image, any suggestion what to do?

Hi Ghulam,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I took a closer look at your account and I can confirm that it's already been verified. You should see the ID Verified badge on your profile as confirmation. If the team finds the need for you to re-verify your ID, you will receive an email detailing the instructions on how to complete the process. I hope this clarifies.

~ Arjay
Upwork
56a3c407
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Thanks for reaching out. Actullay the thing is, I am trying to withdraw in my local bank account and they need my ID Card and some bank statement to move forward with withdrawals, where they ask to upload images of my ID Card with both sides but I am unable to upload the images because upwork is restricting me to upload only one image. help me out with this problem, I am stucked since last 8 days.

regards.

Hi Ghulam,

Thank you for your response. Since you've received a notification from the team asking for additional documents to resolve the issue, you may send a follow-up by responding to the email. The team will surely look into your concerns and assist you accordingly. You may also access and review your tickets linked to your case on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
56e67fbc
Community Member

Hello! I believe I might be having an issue verifying my identity through government-issued ID because the front of my ID only includes my picture, signature and fingerprint. How can I solve that? Thank you!

You'll need to contact upwork support. When you are on this community page, you should see a "Get Support" button in the bottom right corner. The support bot should be able to help or at least direct you to someone who can. 

Hi Juliana,

I can see that the team has reached out via email with more information about the status of your ID Verification and instructions on how to complete the process. You may review the ticket linked to your case here and in your email. You can also respond to the notification by responding to the email if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e6d67494
Community Member

Hello Upwork team,

I have been trying to verify my id within the site. After a day or two of document submission I was told taht my id wasn't accepted for two reasons. a) My profile picture doesn't match, which I can't change without verifying my id and b) I am required to upload both sides but the site is restricting me from doing so. How should I move forward with this?

Hi Ilias Minas,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties verifying your ID. It looks like you've got in contact with the appropriate team about your concern and they've provided you with further instructions on how to complete your ID Verification.

We highly suggest you continue coordinating with the team through a single ticket if you still need further assistance so that they can assist you accordingly and more efficiently. You can either check this page or your email to access the ticket linked to your case.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths