🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
5cb59c16
Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,395 REPLIES 2,395
ddfa0b51
Community Member

Hello,

I recently got hired for the first time and I just got a notification for the verification which I did previously. Now it says that if I dont get the verification done by 26th Nov my account will be closed. 

I have again submitted my ID and it says it might take few days but I believe there is something wrong with the process otherwise it should not take this long.

Could anyone from Upworj team helo me get verified quickly?

Hello Taha,

I understand the importance of verifying your account. I am pleased to inform you that your account is verified now.

- Pradeep

Upwork
553cba9b
Community Member

Hello, 

I've joined Upwork few days ago. Yesterday I recevied a notification that saying I need to verify my account. Then I tried to follow the steps. But when selection the document It's only showing Drivers License and Passport. But I don't have either of them. I only have my Government ID. Can anyone tell me how I verify my account using Government ID?

Thank you. 

They do accept drivers license.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000563227-Government-ID-Verification

If you are still facing problem, contact the customer service.

But I don't have drivers license too.  

How do I contact the customer support? I tried several times but couldn't find a link to open a ticket. 

Hi Pavani,

You can use your Government ID to verify your account. The ID must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address, with the exception of passports, which don't need your address. Other documents that we accept include a passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets the criteria previously mentioned. You can check this article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
553cba9b
Community Member

But I see only Passport and Driver's license to select? There's no option for Government ID. 

Screenshot 2023-11-20 002445.png

Thanks for clarifying, Pavani. I brought this to the team's attention so they can look into it further; in the meantime, use any of the options available on the dropdown and submit your Government ID. The team should receive it anyway, and it will be reviewed. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
553cba9b
Community Member

Hello, Thank you for your answer. But when I'm uploading the ID it's showing like this? May I know how to contact the cusotmer support directly? 

Capture.PNG

Hello Pavani,

I checked your account and it looks like your previous submission was automatically rejected possibly due to unclear text or a low resolution images. Could you please try uploading your documents again from the Settings > Identity Verification page? 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Hello Pradeep H, 

Actually it's a very clear image. I think because it's not look like a normal Government ID. It's printed on a A4 sheet. Because SriLankan Government hasn't pinting materials for print the original ID's. They printed ID's on A4 sheet until printed meterials arrived. 

Is there a way that I can directly contact the Upwork CS? 

Hi Pavani, 

I would be happy to help. Could you please try to submit your document one more time? If the issue persists let us know and we will connect you with the appropriate team.

~ Nikola
Upwork

What should I do? 

553cba9b_0-1700497256428.png

Hi Pavani,

I'm sorry if you're having difficulties verifying your ID. However, please be aware that the ID should be a valid government-issued photo ID (not a digital copy, expired or temporary). That said, we only accept the following, unexpired documents:

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue. Please check this help article for more information.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8bf1773c
Community Member

Dear all,

I uploaded my ID with following format, but the tools cannot verifiy my ID. How do i reach customer service team to help me with ID Verification?

Best Regards,

Aldo Davin Reinardi

Hi Aldo,

If the system is rejecting it, it means the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. 

We only accept the following, unexpired documents:

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

Best practices for images include:
- Do not crop or alter your image
- Ensure all four corners of your ID are visible
- The image should be clear and in color
- The ID should be a valid government-issued photo ID (not a digital copy, expired or temporary)

Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue.

Please check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
80cbdf6b
Community Member

Hello everyone! 

I sent you my passport photo for verification last Friday, and today I saw that you are currently unable to process my ID. Perhaps you can add your ID again later. I would like to know the reason for not being able to process my ID?

Hi Sergey,

If the system is rejecting it, it means the submission was denied. Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. 

We only accept the following, unexpired documents:

- Passport
- Residence Permit
- Election Card
- National ID
- Driver’s License

Best practices for images include:
- Do not crop or alter your image
- Ensure all four corners of your ID are visible
- The image should be clear and in color
- The ID should be a valid government-issued photo ID (not a digital copy, expired or temporary)

Once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue.

Please check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
64f964b1
Community Member

My verification isnt going through even tho i sent all required files and they should be perfect and well within the guidelines

Hi Neddar,

I see that you've recently resubmitted the required documentation. Please allow more time for your submission to be reviewed. The relevant team will contact you if you need to do anything else.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
47ac562d
Community Member

Hello Sir,

I have the same problem as Amr S. Upwork requires only passport in order to verify my identity but I do not have one. I only have a National ID card.

Your help would be welcome.

Hi Mohamed,

A National ID card is among the accepted documents you can submit for verification. You can learn more about those here.

That said, I can see that your most recent submission is currently under review. Please allow more time for the verification to be completed; the team will let you know if you need to do anything else.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
03fd45f4
Community Member

Hi,

I am trying to get the blue tick. I searched about how to get it and i found out that i had to get my Government issued Identity Card or Passport card verified. 
But I can't find the option in my settings to do that. 

Hello Talha,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Then, how do will i get the blue tick?

Community Member

Hello,

I joined Upwork a few weeks ago and completed my profile 100%. However, I haven't received the ID verification notification on my profile yet. When I searched for my profile using the search box, I was unable to find it. I believe my account might be on hold. Please address this issue as I need to verify my account as soon as possible in order to start working. I kindly request you to expedite the verification process. Thank you.

Hi Mohamed,

I understand your concern. At this time, your account does not require verification. Our team will contact you if verification becomes necessary in the future. Please note that verification is not something you can request, but it is gradually implemented for Upwork users. If our team decides to verify your account, you will receive an email or a notification in your account with more details on how to complete the verification process.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you for reply but When I searched for my profile in the search, I was unable to find mu profile. I thought my account might be on hold. Please address this issue and help me to fix as soon as possible

I understand your concern, Mohamed. I checked your profile and I can confirm that there is no restriction on your Upwork profile. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

thank you for your replay but When I searched for my profile in the search box, I was unable to find my profile. I thought my account might be on hold. Please address this issue and please help me to fix this issue.

Hi,
It's been over six days, and I haven't heard back about my identity verification. Can someone please provide an update? Moderators please help me. 

09ef83ff
Community Member

Hi, 

It's been while i submitted my national ID card but it's not getting verified. I have submitted my ID card 3-4 time but it's saying in review for 1-3 business days after 3 days it's saying to submit again. 

In visual verification I had video chat with a support agent and it got verified instantly. But the Govt ID card is not getting verified.

I need help.

Hi Shamim,

I checked your account and noticed that your previous submission was automatically rejected possibly due to low-resolution images or unclear text. Please resubmit your documents from the Settings page. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
25c9dba3
Community Member

Hi,
It's been over six days, and I haven't heard back about my identity verification. Can someone please provide an update? Moderators please help me. 

Hi Shubham,

I checked your account and you will need to resubmit your documents as the previous submission was rejected. You can submit your documents again from the Settings page. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
Community Member

hi pradeep,

thank you for your replay but When I searched for my profile in the search box, I was unable to find my profile. I believe my account might be on hold. Please address this issue and please help me to fix this issue.

-mohamed

6a9dddf3
Community Member

How do l complete the identity verification process because l am not seeing the identity verification settings on my profile. l understand you say you will send a notification to verify but its been long since l opened my account and have not received the email. Is there something l need to do to get this verification email. Please kindly assist.

Hi Michelle,

Your account does not require verification at this time. Upwork will notify you if verification is necessary in the future. Please note that verification cannot be requested directly; it is being implemented gradually for Upwork users. If Upwork determines that your account needs verification, you will receive an email or an in-account notification with detailed instructions on how to complete the process.

- Pradeep

Upwork

Okay so how do l get the blue verified check mark?

Noted, thank you. If my account does not need verification for now, how then do l get the blue verified check mark on my profile?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths